Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Wheat & egg free baking?

(30 Posts)
KatyMac Mon 11-Feb-13 13:39:56

I just made wheat & egg free pastry & it was a bit tough; has anyone a better recipe?

I saw the pancake recipe further down & I'm going to look at that too!!

frazzledbutcalm Tue 12-Feb-13 11:53:24

Ds has had constant tummy pain 24/7 since april last year! Constant pain but has flare ups. Paed has tried various things and originally said it was post viral IBS. I wasn't convinced. No meds have worked. He had allergies as a baby but outgrew at 10months. We've trialled milk free diet but made no difference. We're now trialling milk, soya, egg and wheat free. Then if pain gets better we have to re-introduce one at a time. I'm being really careful but i'm finding it quite difficult! I've been giving him oat milk ...
If this doesn't work they're going to put him on medication for IBS and send him to a psychologist for his anxiety issues. hmm
I don't think his anxiety is the problem, I think it may be food, but I'm not convinced of that either confused
Any recipe ideas are a great help in the meantime.

SanityClause Tue 12-Feb-13 12:12:02

Brushing the top of pastry with rice milk can give it a bit more of a golden colour.

I get Orgran from a local health food shop, but most things are available at supermarkets. The Sainsbury's own brand GF pasta and Waitrose Love Life GF pasta are the best tasting pastas - they don't taste as "corny" as some of the other brands.

I use Dietary Choices rolls, and am just trialling a new sliced bread called Yes. You do have to be careful of egg in lots of GF food. It's a matter of reading the labels all the time.

Did your DS eat breakfast cereal? There are some really good gluten free ones on the market. My DS eats them with apple juice to replace the milk.

I buy Alara GF oats, and Pure olive oil spread.

All my family have food intolerances, and while avoiding certain foods takes a bit of getting used to, I no longer have one DD on the loo for half an hour every morning (due to eating eggs for breakfast) or a DS who tells me "my tummy hates me" every night before bed.

Good luck with your DS - it has made a big difference for us!

frazzledbutcalm Tue 12-Feb-13 12:38:39

He has either porridge, crunchy nut cornflakes, rice krispies or oatibix for breakfast. We use oat milk as we were told rice milk is very watery ... I'll get some rice milk today to try. I've brushed the tops of foods with oat milk before cooking but it doesn't brown any ... Hopefully better results with rice milk. Any tips on making things rise? Yorkshires, scones, ? ..
Once I know for definite what foods he can't have I think it'll be much easier, as I'm not expecting it to be all those 4 groups, fingers crossed!

Charmingbaker Tue 12-Feb-13 13:15:05

Frazzled- have you has him tested for coeliac? lots of complaints are 'misdiagnosed' as IBS, could be worth seeing a gastro consultant if you already seen one.

frazzledbutcalm Tue 12-Feb-13 20:42:14

We see a gastro paed. She's tested blood but I haven't had results yet. Well I have via letter but it's just a list of letters and numbers! I assume it's all fine otherwise I would have had a call..?.. I rang today but consultant wasn't able to take call so I'm waiting for her to ring back in next couple of days. I thought this diet trial would sort out one way or another but after reading this thread I really doubt it! Ds is still eating oats and barley yet some can't so I'm thinking we may never get true results sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now