Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Do / did your children enjoy eating foods to which they turned out to be allergic?

(7 Posts)
AngelDog Fri 04-Jan-13 23:34:16

Obviously if they had a bad reaction the question wouldn't apply.

Just wondering as I'm trying to work out what could be causing DS1's most recent allergic reaction. He normally gets hives / reddened skin on his eczema, and this time a rash all over his torso.

Maz007 Sat 05-Jan-13 09:49:41

This is just anecdotal so perhaps not too useful... but both mine enjoyed eating foods they later reacted to (DD's case it's true for both IgE and intolerance type reactions)... I've read that it can go both ways - either refusing or gorging themselves on foods that they turn out to react to (but not sure what the evidence is like for this). After reacting / avoiding / learning that x makes them poorly it's another matter of course - you won't persuade my DS to touch cheese now that he's no longer allergic to CMP!

AngelDog Sat 05-Jan-13 19:40:39

Yes, I've heard both.

DS loves cucumber, melon, sunflower seeds, bananas & eggy bread and we're pretty sure he's allergic to all of them.

bruffin England Sat 05-Jan-13 19:50:30

My ds was always a very good eater, his nut and seed allergies appeared at 4 and he liked everything like that before.

Meglet England Sat 05-Jan-13 19:53:58

DS ate apples happily for 5yrs, then he became allergic to them last spring.

He'd had other nut + kiwi allergies for a while, but apple had been fine until then confused <<rolls eyes>>.

Nuttyprofessor Sat 05-Jan-13 20:52:19

DS refused to eat many foods and was later found to be allergic to them, I thought he was fussy but not so sure, maybe good instincts.

AngelDog Mon 07-Jan-13 21:58:13

Thanks. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now