Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

cbeebies "Get Well Soon" - food allergies episode

(7 Posts)
Sheilsie Wed 28-Nov-12 18:24:24

Those of you with little ones might be interested to know that yesterday's (27th Nov) "Get Well Soon" was on the subject of food allergies. Get Well Soon just happens to be my 4 year old DD's favourite programme (there is a different illness/condition every day) and she was extra excited about the food allergies one. Currently wathching it for the third time in a row on iplayer!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/grownups/programme/get-well-soon

greenbananas Wed 28-Nov-12 21:04:06

Nice one - thanks for posting this. I've just watched it with my 4 year old, who has multiple food allergies and also loves Dr Ranj and the Get Well Soon programme.

I liked the emphasis on what children with food allergies can still eat (e.g. the boy with peanut allergy can still have broccoli, the girl with egg allergy can't have cake but can still eat carrots). The whole thing was presented as normal, non-scary and manageable. I also liked the way they said "if you're not sure, always check with an adult".

There was the usual slight confusion about allergy vs. intolerance (e.g. one child's 'good explanation' of allergy was that you feel sick then go to the loo lots). It's good that Dr. Ranj pointed out that no medicine will make allergies go away, but he did also say that most children grow out of their allergies (and it's very unlikely that DS will grow out of all of his). However, I am nitpicking really... It was generally very good, and I have been hoping for ages that there would be a Get Well Soon Programme about food allergies smile

Sheilsie Wed 28-Nov-12 22:42:26

Thanks greenbananas. Glad you like it too (and I agree with your point re the poo). I was a little bit sad for DD though as they had the example of one child with a nut allergy and one with an egg (or was it dairy?) allergy and she's got all of them! She can eat broccoli though ha ha. Tomorrow's is called Scratchy Skin (I'm assuming eczema) and they've already had a Wheezy asthma one so they've got all DD's conditions covered. And, by chance, today's was on type 1 diabetes and my 2 year old DS has that! We love Dr Ranj!

Piffpaffpoff Wed 28-Nov-12 22:58:56

Thanks for posting this, I've just downloaded it and will show it to DS (nut allergy). And then I'll tape tomorrows on eczema and show it to DD who I having a bad outbreak due to the double whammy of having a cold and the central heating going on.

babybarrister Thu 29-Nov-12 11:57:01

thanks - I shall also go and watch Raspberry Surprise ...

babybarrister Fri 30-Nov-12 09:24:21

even my smarty pants 6 year old enjoyed it - thanks!

LiquidLunch Fri 30-Nov-12 09:28:13

Our dc had hiccups the other day and dh proceeded to tell me how and why hiccups occurred - thanks to gws!!

Seems its not just for kids!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now