Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Alternative to marzipan for Christmas cake?

(4 Posts)
CMOTDibbler Mon 26-Nov-12 09:53:44

If you ice it with roll out the day before, it'll be fine with no marzipan - its primary role is to stop oils seeping through.

For Christmas pudding, its easy to make your own, and much tastier imo - just leave the nuts out

MaryDownton Mon 26-Nov-12 09:47:36

My husband and daughter hate marzipan. Last time I just did two layers of rolled icing with the apricot jam. Think it stops the darker colours seeping through from the cake. Very popular.

eragon Sun 25-Nov-12 22:47:25

i just melt some apricot jam and then add icing on top. helps that we all hate marzipan.

123barley Sun 25-Nov-12 22:33:20

Hi my DS has a nut allergy-peanuts and almonds-so as title says I'm looking for any suggestions about an alternative to marzipan for the cake. And also any recommendations for a nut free christmas pudding? DS was only diagnosed this year so it is all still quite new to us....thanks for the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now