Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does this look like an allergic/viral rash?

(13 Posts)
mumat39 Mon 24-Sep-12 01:13:12

Hello again.

I'm glad that your DD doesn't have allergies. They really are a PITA. Her poor face sad. Was it Eczema?

DD was still covered last night when she went to bed and also when I checked on her during the night. But this morning when she woke up, her skin looked much better. I'm sure the NeoClarityn takes a couple of days to be really effective so will keep that going for a few days. The patches that were really red and raised have gone but the skin is slightly darker where they were so I'm hoping that they settle and that her skin is properly clear again.

Hope you're well and that your little ones are too. Also hope it's not too wet where you are.

Take care and thanks for checking back. xxx

WeAreSix Sun 23-Sep-12 15:38:06

No allergies. Her little face used to be red and hot with the rash, it would dry out (get sore) then go.

How is your DD today?

mumat39 Sat 22-Sep-12 21:51:02

Does your DD1 have any allergies?

DD has only just gone to sleep. She looks like she's been scalded even though the rash has gone down a little the redness is still there.

I'm actually thinking of sending her to school on Monday as this could go on for weeks and as she's otherwise fine and it's not something that can be passed on, there's no reason to keep her at home. I hope that doesn't sound too mean. Of course if the school say No then I'll keep her at home.

Thanks again and I hope you have a lovely rest of your saturday and a good Sunday.
Take care. xxx

WeAreSix Sat 22-Sep-12 20:08:45

Its always such a worry with children! It sounds like you're doing all the right stuff. Maybe a cool bath will help the redness? My DD1 gets a rash every single time she was unwell, but not bad enough to need meds.
Baby has just settled to sleep smile nice chatting to you too! I never seem to get replies to my posts lol

mumat39 Sat 22-Sep-12 19:58:57

Thanks WeAreSix.

She is fine in herself. The patches just seem so red and angry looking. We've been told we can give NeoClarityn twice a day so she's had that and the patches are less raised now but still really red. I think the neoclarityn can take a few days to build up. Last time it took about 3 weeks before we could stop giving it and this seems like it's worse than last time. sad

She usually has a bath before bedtime but we haven't bothered today but when she got undressed, she's actually covered pretty much all over and is also staring to get more on her face.

Anyway, hope your little one has had a good feed and that he or she sleeps well. Thanks so much for listening to and chatting with me. Xxx

WeAreSix Sat 22-Sep-12 17:25:02

I'm typing while feeding my 7 week old so excuse typos!

If you are worried, you could call out of hours doctors. The general advice is if the child is ok in herself, temperature not high and the rash blanches then safe to watch and wait but contact OOH if anything changes or worsens.

hope you get a better night x

mumat39 Sat 22-Sep-12 17:24:18

no, no temperature.

mumat39 Sat 22-Sep-12 17:16:43

Just checked, not he led. Stupid spell checker. Sorry.

mumat39 Sat 22-Sep-12 17:16:11

Thanks WeAreSix. If it looks allergic that's good. The viral urticaria she gets also looks allergic as the mast cells under the skin react to antibodies produced by the body causing them to release histamine which causes the hives. So it's not really viral in the sense of being caused by a virus itself. It's to do with the body reacting to what it produces after dealing with a virus, if that makes sense.

Thanks for looking, I was worried it might be something different that might need medical attention. So your reply makes me feel relieved. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Just he led and the patches do Blanche when pressed.

WeAreSix Sat 22-Sep-12 16:58:03

Sorry meant does the colour fade when you press on it?

WeAreSix Sat 22-Sep-12 16:57:06

It look more like an allergy or bites than viral.

Does the colour fade? Does she have a high temperature?

mumat39 Sat 22-Sep-12 16:53:54

The pics are loaded now. These were taken earlier and it's worse at the moment.

mumat39 Sat 22-Sep-12 16:52:41

I don't believe it. last night DD woke up crying at abut midnight. Went to check on her and tried to calm her down. She has a rotten cough at the moment. Just as I put her back into her bed I noticed she was covered in a rash. She has multiple allergies and she must have reacted to something or it's possible it could be a viral rash which looks the same. i hate bloody allergies. Poor thing was so so itchy and the hives had joined up so she had bright red swollen patches all over her legs and some on her body.

I gave her neoclarityn as I was sure it had to be a viral rash and checked on her through the night. The rash did ease, very slowly.

When she woke up this morning, she had dark patches over her legs where the hives joined up rash was. She had a few more rashly patches this morning. I've been checking all day and the rash is back again and spreading. It's up her sides and she has a patch on her forehead.

She's had viral urticaria before, but this seems different, in that the reash seems diffent and she's got more of it.

I'm posting this as I'd appreciate some advice please. I'm going to post some pics on my profile in a minute of what it looks like so if anyone can let me know whether they think it does look like a viral rash, that would be great. viral rashes look like allergic rashes, so I realise you can't really tell just by looking.

She has a cough at the moment which started about 3 days ago. So that would be too soon for it to be the cough causing the rash.

She's been doing really well recently and it seems like every time I let myself relax a bit I get a rude reminder not to.

Ath the moment her back and sides are just rede and covered in a swollen patch where all the small patches have joined up. She also has patches on her legs arms and stomach and forehead. sad

She's never started to get a reaction in the night before and that worries me esp as I don't know what's causing it.

I really wish I could do something to help DD to get over this as I hate the way it affects her life sad

Many thanks in advance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now