Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Ever been one of those awkward customers

(12 Posts)
gabsdot Fri 01-Apr-16 13:02:15

I'm feeling a little bit embarrassed about how I behaved this morning in the Credit Union. I was an awkward customer.
I went into open accounts for my kids and brought with me the necessary, paraphanialia including birth certs, which in my kids cases are adoption certs.
The guy behind the counter said he'd have to ring head office to check that the adoption cert was suitable.
So I went off on a rant about how an adoption cert has exactly the same legal properties as a birth cert and how I don't want my kids to have to spend their entire lives having to defend their adoption and having to wait in lines while people make phone calls about their documentation.
I was polite but I'll bet I'm the topic of the lunchtime conversation in the branch today.
You all understand don't you???

Alljamissweet Fri 01-Apr-16 13:21:43

Yes yes yes!!!
Go girl!

ChocolateJam Fri 01-Apr-16 14:26:34

Good for you!

tldr Fri 01-Apr-16 18:36:42

I've been putting it off for exactly this reason. sad

MintyLizzy9 Fri 01-Apr-16 20:41:05

Yup! My LA offers a type of discount card to certain groups I.e on benefits, armed forces, in care, adopted child etc. The info/rules booklet is VERY clear re the adoption entitlement and that prior to AO bring issued a letter from SS is sufficient...FML it was harder to get that application processed that actually adopting DS and included numerous stage whispers from the numpty doing it to colleagues across the room in a very public area. I did say at one point no need to whisper anymore everyone here knows DS business now. I get the rage offen!

HenryHorse1 Fri 01-Apr-16 21:20:05

Well done you!! Grrrrr to people's ignorance!!!

gabsdot Fri 01-Apr-16 21:43:36

Update
I emailed the Credit union head office when I got home and told them what had happened and I got a lovely email back saying that they will look at their procedures so avoid this happening to anyone again.
So good result I think

MintyLizzy9 Fri 01-Apr-16 21:59:09

Brilliant result! I should maybe direct my rage into productive actions too rather than stomping and eye rolling swearing like a trooper in my head

Italiangreyhound Sat 02-Apr-16 00:27:41

I am about to open an account for my son at a building society, should I 've aware!

I think, to be fair OP, it is not the fault of an individual staff member if they are not properly trained. Better to allow them to go through their official procedure and if that proves more difficult than the procedure for others to write to head office.

This individual may not even have told his line manager and so the same thing could easily happen again.

Italiangreyhound Sat 02-Apr-16 00:29:06

Loose I did not see your update! Ha ha, so you did email head office, good for you smile

Italiangreyhound Sat 02-Apr-16 00:30:05

Loose should be oopse.

Kr1stina Mon 04-Apr-16 15:11:10

I tried to open a savings account for my adopted child at the nationwide BS. Yes that's you NATIONWIDE . They told me ( loudly, publicly and rudely ) that an adoption certificate was not suitable and they would only accept a full birth certificate , marriage certificate or a deed poll. I had her passport but that's wasn't good enough either apparently .

Oh, and they also wanted a utility bill in her name, not mine .

Which is a bit odd as she was about 4 at the time .

Thankfully the Yorkshire BS were more reasonable . And now have the savings accounts for all three children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now