Meeting with previous foster carers coming up any advice?

(32 Posts)
Ladyofthehouse Tue 12-Feb-13 14:03:03

Hi,

Our DD's (1.11 and 2. 10) have been with us for around 4 months and settled in really well.

The eldest has been quite unsettled and we've had a lot of behavioural issues but she just seems to be calming down so want to try and be as prepared as we can be.

We're now due to meet up with their previous foster carers (whole family) and feeling really nervous. Has anyone else done this? Did you prepare your children in any way?

Maryz Sun 17-Feb-13 10:54:13

Good luck lady, I hope you get through it ok smile

I suggest bribes on the way home (vast quantities of really messy chocolate).

Ladyofthehouse Sun 17-Feb-13 19:37:59

I wanted to update you all as you have all been so supportive!

Well, I am completely in awe or our little girls! They just took it all in their stride. They got excited when they saw them, gave them a cuddle but then came back us for a cuddle.

They didn't even seem to refer to them as mummy and daddy and we all called them by their names.

I was worried about when it would be time to go but again they gave them hugs and kisses then came back and she held my hand and said "nanny" as we'd said we were going there for tea.

I know there might be feelings that might emerge later on, but we're both just so pleased that they clearly see us as their mummy and daddy - and seem to feel secure.

Phew - large glasses of wine tonight!!!

Fab.

Happiestinwellybobs Sun 17-Feb-13 20:46:35

Excellent news smile

Piffyonarock Sun 17-Feb-13 20:54:51

That's great! Well done all of you. Enjoy that wine x

Maryz Sun 17-Feb-13 21:08:29

That is excellent - it sounds as though they are really settling well smile.

I do feel for foster families, it must be so tough. But that is, in truth, the job they have chosen to do and obviously the better they do it the better the outcome for the children, even if it does leave the families mourning their loss for a while.

If that makes sense confused.

Lilka Sun 17-Feb-13 21:14:45

Oh good glad it went well smile

Enjoy your wine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now