games to play at christmas day with older teens or any age

(33 Posts)
NoahVale Thu 24-Nov-16 20:31:03

boardgames or just any sort of activity to avoid the slumping in front of the TV

Icequeen01 Thu 24-Nov-16 20:40:02

Last year I bought Best of British which is a bit like Trivial Pursuit but all the questions relate to Britain. We played it with two 16 year olds and two 14 year olds and they really seemed to really enjoy it. The adults really enjoyed it too. I bought it on Amazon.

NoahVale Thu 24-Nov-16 20:41:42

www.red-herring-games.com/

i think this was the suggestion or another thread

PurpleDaisies Thu 24-Nov-16 20:42:56

I feel like I'm sponsored by ticket to ride since I recommend it so much but it really is good.

FinallyHere Thu 24-Nov-16 20:45:11

If you are broadminded, then Cards against Humanity can be endlessly entertaining.

NightNightBadger19962 Thu 24-Nov-16 20:47:26

I just purchased ticket to ride based on a recommendation from here, so I hope Purple is right...

clairethewitch70 Thu 24-Nov-16 20:48:25

Exploding Kittens card game - I think it is a Black Friday offer on Amazon (where I got mine last year)

notagiraffe Thu 24-Nov-16 20:54:53

My teenage DC like The Boss - a mafia-based card game. They also like the board game version of QI and we make up our own versions of Bananagrams (but we are quite geeky.)

They might fancy a poker night.

DoItTooJulia Thu 24-Nov-16 20:54:59

Well hello Noah. Nice thread!

FranHastings Thu 24-Nov-16 20:55:53

Ticket to Ride is brilliant!

DixieWishbone Thu 24-Nov-16 20:56:38

Charades has gone down well with my family from ages 8 - 78. You don't need to buy anything to play it either.

Allalonenow Thu 24-Nov-16 20:59:57

Pelmanism, a memory game, usually done with many small items on a tray.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Thu 24-Nov-16 21:00:37

I bought 'say what you see' for a fiver from tesco. It's like dingbats or catchphrase, just cards with things on. Haven't opened it yet, but I love those simple logic/strangely difficult games smile

Hoviscats Thu 24-Nov-16 21:04:25

Definitely charades!

GummyBunting Thu 24-Nov-16 21:08:09

You can download a free app called 'charades', where you pick a category then hold the phone to your head and other people make you guess it. You tilt your phone down when you get it right, up to pass, and get as many correct before the time runs out.

Good modern version!

NoahVale Thu 24-Nov-16 22:33:35

hello julia grin

thanks folks. keep em coming.

traviata Thu 24-Nov-16 22:38:35

I do like Ticket to Ride, but I strongly recommend that you don't have a couple of glasses of wine before reading the rules for the first time. It is one of those games that is easier to do than to explain, but the first encounter with the instructions was a bit challenging.

NoahVale Thu 24-Nov-16 22:45:23

i think wine will have been consumed by all.
may be practice before hand?

imnotalpharius Thu 24-Nov-16 22:55:50

I would second exploding kittens and say Munchkin, there's loads of different versions and they're all brilliant!

Purpleprickles Thu 24-Nov-16 23:04:55

My dm introduced a lego challenge last Christmas, an idea stolen from her friend. We all got given a small box of Lego at the dinner table after dinner and had a race to build it. Ds loved it but equally so did us grown ups.

peponi Thu 24-Nov-16 23:06:15

Perudo. Second ticket to ride!

recklessgran Fri 25-Nov-16 00:20:25

It has to be mean Santa! Fill a sack with a number of wrapped items from the pound shop. Add a couple of "nice" gifts of higher value. Now you all sit round and take turns to throw the dice. If you throw a 6 you take a gift from the sack and unwrap it so everyone can see what you've got. If you throw a 1 it entitles you to steal a present from someone. This continues until all the presents in the sack have been opened by which time there has been much stealing of the most coveted gifts. It's very amusing and teens in particular love it. [We normally spend about £15 in the pound shop-you need to be a bit inventive. Invariably I have things in my present drawer that find their way into the sack so it isn't too £££ in the end.]

SnobblyBobbly Fri 25-Nov-16 00:56:29

I just bought a cheap game called Yes or No from Amazon and as my lot are obsessed with I'm a Celebrity at the moment I also popped a packet of edible insects in the trolley for the unfortunate losers 😊🐛

J3NN1 Fri 25-Nov-16 14:58:59

Speak out! Seriously funny.
Second (third?) exploding kittens, they do a nsfw version which would be more suitable for older teens too.
Never too old for pie face either!
We have an app on our phones called 'heads up' which was only a couple of quid and really fun too.

LeMesmer Fri 25-Nov-16 19:59:18

Lego creationary is good, but perhaps a bit young for older teens. You get cards with pictures on and have to make whatever it is out of lego and other players have to guess what it is. Sounds a bit boring but is really good fun.

Mission to Mars has really good reviews. I can't really recommend it as such , as bought it this year for DS and not played it yet, but it looks good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now