Your favourite Christmas/Winter themed books needed for a Book Advent Calendar.

(38 Posts)
o0 Thu 28-Aug-14 15:24:04

Every year I wrap 24 Christmassy books in an assortment of paper and put them all in a festive basket type thing by the fire and my DS's take turns to chose one each night and we cuddle up and read it.

I know I'm wanky and twee but I love it. grin

They do actually behave and it turns out how my twee little brain wants it to go unlike everything else where they bicker and ruin the image in my head. wink

So, I've got pretty much the main books that everyone thinks of so I need some less known ideas. I've 14 books so far so need another 10 ideas, pretty please.

Oh any my DS's are 6 and 9. So picture story books are still loved but I need a few ideas for older books for my DS1.

o0 Thu 28-Aug-14 15:24:56

Bugger. Choose not chose.

BakeOffQueen Thu 28-Aug-14 15:32:04

Great idea!

I love this book. There is one for loads of places, so there should be one local to you (if you're in the UK) and the illustrations are great! You can spot loads of places that are local to you, which is nice smile

o0 Thu 28-Aug-14 15:35:37

Perfect! Thank you. They have both Edinburgh and Scotland. Hmm choices, choices. grin

Nocturne123 Thu 28-Aug-14 15:39:01

The Jolly Christmas Postman https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0434925322/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_O6Z.tb1SWP87F

This was a great christmas book , maybe you already have it though .

Love your idea by the way

Myfanwyprice Thu 28-Aug-14 15:39:45

I love love love Christmas books, I am a little bit obsessed!

My tradition is to get them all out on the 1st December and work our way through them, but must admit I like you're idea more!!

My favourites are, the smelly sprout, Jesus's Christmas party, the dinosaur who pooped Christmas and dear Father Christmas (by Jeanne Willis)

o0 Thu 28-Aug-14 15:52:47

I stole the idea from Pinterest. I'd love to steal the credit though. grin

I do have that one, Nocturne. I think I love it more than my DS's. grin

I've got all those but the last one, Myfanwy, thank you. Will stick it on my wish list!

BakeOffQueen Thu 28-Aug-14 15:55:10

grin Get both wink

motherofanearlyfouryearold Thu 28-Aug-14 15:57:20

Cops and robbers by Janet and Alan alberg

o0 Thu 28-Aug-14 16:05:02

Cops and robbers! I'd never have found that one without help, thanks motherof.

Cherrypippin Thu 28-Aug-14 16:11:20

Father Christmas needs a wee was a big hit with my boys.

ClaimedByMe Thu 28-Aug-14 16:14:50

'Dear Santa Claus' is a hit in this house, dd still pulls it out at xmas and she is 11

NerfHerder Thu 28-Aug-14 16:16:20

The Tomten
The Tomten and the Fox
The Snow Children
Snow is my Favorite and my Best
Winters Tale
Night Before Christmas
One Snowy Night
The Christmas Bear

annettec01 Thu 28-Aug-14 16:29:42

Santas pants!

o0 Thu 28-Aug-14 19:16:57

Have most of those mentioned but a few it don't have from your list Nerf, thanks.

Don't have Santa's Pants either, annette. It's going on the list, looks fun!

misstiredbuthappy Thu 28-Aug-14 21:30:33

Santa needs a wee is a fave in my house grin

Glad im not the only one that gets all my ideas of Pinterest !

MollyBdenum Fri 29-Aug-14 07:25:10

I did that last year, and it didnt really work.

Good books for slightly older children include Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden, The Children of Green Knowe, The Box of Delights and The Dark is Rising.

Shirley and Tom's Christmas
Mog's Christmas
The Other Goose
Stickman
The Winter Bear
The Gruffalo's Child
Morris' Disappearing Bag

o0 Fri 29-Aug-14 17:28:14

Why didn't it work, Molly? Thanks for the book ideas, will google.

Have a few of those attheend, but 3 of them I've not even heard of so will check them out too.

thanks everyone.

NorksEnormous Fri 29-Aug-14 18:54:14

Fab idea, I think I will do it this year with my 4 and 2 yo

MollyBdenum Fri 29-Aug-14 19:53:26

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey is very good as well.

It didn't work for us because 24 books were too many, and opening a parcel before bed was too exciting. Mine prefer to have old favourites repeated over several nights rather than a new one, and having one a day meant that we couldn't really read the chapter books together.

One thing I loved, though, were the Christmas Tales Storyworld cards by John and Caitlin Mathhews. They are amazing, and will provide a lifetime of Christmas stories.

bakingtins Fri 29-Aug-14 22:22:06

The Fourth King by Ted Stiegler.
Christmas letters by Tolkein - my 7 year old loves this, it's the letter from FC written by Tolkein to his children each year, complete with his paintings. We read one a night in Advent, it's a book to dip into.

misstiredbuthappy Fri 29-Aug-14 22:47:38

Try ebay op for bundles. Last year my friend bought a bundle of I think 20 xmas books for £12 I think.

Stevie77 Sat 30-Aug-14 17:22:50

Alfie's Christmas, love Shirley Hughes!

Medibeagle Sat 30-Aug-14 17:27:22

Is The Box of Delights too old? Might be a good one for in a few years?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now