So whats been a big hit and whats been disapointing?

(69 Posts)
Marne Tue 25-Dec-12 21:46:21

Big hits in our house has been skylanders (dd1 had to be dragged off the Wii), Furby and good old lego.

Disapointing items were the addictaball (should be called impossaball), its a pile of cr*p and a bit broke off after 5 minutes of trying to work it out, Hello Kitty cool cardz, probably as dd2 is a bit young for it so just chucked all the bits everywhere without reading the instructions.

F0xyLady Tue 25-Dec-12 23:21:33

DD loves her Furby, her pop up castle tent and superhero costume.

DH loves his accordion and CDs

I like my dressing gown and ipod.

Misses:

Lego - although I'm sure she will play with it, but other toys overshadowed it today)

Nose and ear trimmer (DH) hmm

hits:
DD (3) We did pretty well with her as she is fairly easy to please...
Magnetic dress up dolls in a tin with different backgrounds has been very popular
She loves her Minnie Mouse Puzzle (it is driving me demented why did no one warn me about lenticular puzzles!!). Orchard Game of Spotty Dogs a hit. A book/Cd set of The Ants go Marching One by One, and a Julia Donaldson book set. Also loved tea set and stocking fillers of lip gloss, torch, Barbie DVD. (Not all of this was from us btw)
DS (8) ASD and Dev. Delay is a different kettle of fish. He got some skylander giants which he is really pleased with but he doesn't have the disk. 2 of them work on the normal skylanders but the other doesn't. He has yet to take plastic off Lego Heroica, and Hotwheels boxes. He hasn't opened any of the books to look at not even the Star Wars paper aeroplanes one. He did like his DVD in his stocking and the Angry Birds magic flannel in his stocking.

inchoccyheaven Wed 26-Dec-12 01:30:30

PS3 big hit with dc, have hardly seen them all day grin. Also flex lamps which are just like a long bendy stalk with a light on the end that they have wrapped around the bed posts as reading lights, and freeze dried space ice cream. Apparently tastes like candy floss.

Nothing else has had a look in really.

Tiggygirl Wed 26-Dec-12 09:16:17

Ds loves loves loves his matchattack ( ? Spelling ) book and cards from his big brother and hasn't let it leave his side since he got it .He is only 7 though ,and has wanted these since about September !

QueenFuri Wed 26-Dec-12 09:23:24

DS1 loves his angry bird set, moshi monsters and bike the rest is still waiting to be played with. Pig goes pop is a huge let down.

Ds2 loves his balance bike, george pig rocket and the dogs pig toy. the mike the night set has not gone down as well as i exexpected.

anothercuppaplease Wed 26-Dec-12 09:26:30

It's funny Addict-a-ball has been a huge hit with both DSs (5 and 7). They fight over it.

Party Pop cd and dvd a hit

Lego Ninjago motorbike took me an hour to put together on Christmas day and has remained untouched...

KeepCalmAndHaveAnotherMincePie Wed 26-Dec-12 09:27:26

The imaginext Batcave and Gotham city jail a huge hit here with DS (4), though the batmobile hasn't been played with much. He also loves his Octonauts Gup X.

No obvious misses yet - though we won't know until the initial excitement of the Batcave dies down and he plays with something else!!

MrsGeologist Wed 26-Dec-12 09:32:11

DS1 - the Gup-C. He opened it first, and no other present has really had a look in. Though this morning he has been playing with his telescope and binoculars.

DS2 - a big plastic car transporter. He spent about an hour, pushing it about, going 'brrrrrrrrrrrr.'

AnAirOfHopeInAManger Wed 26-Dec-12 09:34:24

Hits hulk and spiderman action figuars. Kiddy zoom camra

No misses

DumSpiroSperHoHoHo Wed 26-Dec-12 09:34:27

DD is 8.

Sequin Art wizard from her Godmother is already half completed. We have played table top air hockey, assembled the marble run, starting reading the first 'St Clare's' book, worn the dress, dressed the Build a Bears in their new outfits, written spy codes and she is currently practicing magic tricks with DH! Some of the chocolate may also have been consumed grin.

It's all been very successful which is great as have had to hold back her main present (Jessie J tickets for Feb concert which was postponed until next Nov shock angry last week). She's getting those for her birthday in September now, so not so long to wait.

LaTrucha Wed 26-Dec-12 09:35:59

Imaginext ocean ship - a hit with everyone in the family but was for DS age 2

Designafriend doll for DD. A toy she actually played with [faints with surprise]. Plus, when she saw it she excalimed, 'Oh thankyou! I got everything I wanted!' [faits with surprise at grateful 4yo!]

bumbez Wed 26-Dec-12 09:45:57

Dds 7 and 9 loved kindle fire, all in one hat scarf and glove set which looks like a panda and onesies.

Less impressed with socks, pants and bath bombs !

spababe Wed 26-Dec-12 11:15:40

Cravendale Epic straws a big hit. Also Skylanders for 10 yo and flashing lights T shirt to be worn at discos for 12 yo.

AltinkumATEalltheTurkey Wed 26-Dec-12 12:27:43

His Samsung tab2, and skylanders and Kinect, also his costumes (3 x Star Wars, hulk and batman) as of byte no misses as he's not intreasted in anything yet. He's 6.

Ds2 3, loves his strimmer and chainsaw, and also his "Xbox" vtech motion plus no misses yet.

Me, my mac make up and also xxxx money I got.

No misses from me.

Dh best is his James concert tickets, and ds1 tablet!

jenk1 Wed 26-Dec-12 13:43:29

DS - 16 definately the Sky installed in his room,and his mini fridge,he has his mates round to watch the footie and fills his fridge full of pop n chocolate for them lol.

DD - 8 Sylvanian Families school.

she has played with everything she got apart from the one thing she really wanted whih is a password journal which cannot be unscrewed (had all male relatives n male neighbours trying yesterday) so thats going back to Argos tomorrow,she was upset as she was looking forward to taking it to bed and playing on it.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 26-Dec-12 13:47:27

favourites:
dd1 (5.8) - lego friends stables, and nail polish
dd2 (2.1) - tabletop kitchen here.
no huge disappointments

FarelyKnuts Australia Wed 26-Dec-12 14:02:01

DD 3yo has spent past 24 hours playing with the €1 slinky from her stocking and carrying round her t rex dinosaur stuffy grin
Not sure why Santa bothered with the rest really smile

Winner - science putty, i cant believe of all the things bought for my almost 8 year old daughter and tin of putty that was a few pound from argos is the thing she hasnt left alone

KindleMum Wed 26-Dec-12 14:27:43

Got Imaginext Castle for DS and lots of Lego and play food for DD and they both love both and have been sharing happily non-stop. DS said it was "awesome" and " the best Xmas ever." Awwww. I'm loving the way the toys merge - the Lego has formed a protective wall around the castle and the play food is inside the castle for a siege! And the lego fireman are tackling the castle dragon.

Only "disappointment" was the gift from MIL who, true to form, ignored my suggestion of a train set starter kit and decided to buy them random items of train track kit which don't actually form a set and, crucially, don't include a train! My eldest is pretty imaginative but train track that doesn't fit together and with no train - well, it's still in the box! I'll bulk it out with the necessary extras next birthday!

Afrodizzywonders Wed 26-Dec-12 14:31:29

2 year old DS loves his wooden train set here hasn't left it alone!

Guitargirl Wed 26-Dec-12 16:59:08

HITS - hexbugs and elevation set have been a big hit with my two, they have played with them for the last 3 hours non stop (aged 5 and 3). They like their bikes. DD loves her various Barbie colouring in and stencil sets and her furreal cat thing. DS has played non stop with a bendy bus from ELC and wenlock and mandeville cars.

MISSES - motor web spiderman still in his box, DS not shown much interest. A bit underwhelmed with the Wii so far and haven't asked to play with it today. Velcro dart set - darts don't stick.

Big hit - Vintage (really?? It's from 1994 does that make me an antique hmm ) Puppy in my Pocket Puppyville Hotel, I found a boxed one on eBay and around 100 puppies, I spent a few months collecting for her. They are made of lovely durable material.

Fail - Brightest bright white polyester dressing gown for me, material is designed to attract the dust of a thousand houses. I have 4 dogs hmm material is horrid to touch as well.

JollyOldChristmas Wed 26-Dec-12 18:28:03

Puffin , i have an excellent Markies 100% cotton one. If you're looking for a decent one I would recommend trying there smile

GreatCongas Wed 26-Dec-12 18:34:14

Ds1 Michael morpugo box set
Ds2 box assorted lego
Dd push along dog that yaps
Ds3 gup x

SantasWearingHisTrampyPants Wed 26-Dec-12 18:35:20

Hits, the lego. I got him loads of dino lego, a lego monsters set and a couple of superhero sets, all half price or better. Batman is trying to stop the crazy scientist, who has created mutant dinosaurs. Its "epic"

Fail paperjamz guitar.

Dh's fave present was a book about nixon and kissinger from poundland. He loves it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now