Christmas tree chocs .. why am I bothering? Do yours actually last longer than one day?

(23 Posts)
camdancer Thu 13-Dec-12 13:57:28

All ours are gone with a very sheepish DS (5yo) saying he just couldn't help himself. Next year the plan is to count them and tell each the DC how many they each get. Hopefully that will help DS with his control.

But DS said he hid a few inside the tree that he didn't eat yet. I've searched and searched but can't find them. I really wanted a sneaky treat!

ProtegeMoi Thu 13-Dec-12 12:20:35

Nope mine are all gone, although only noticed yesterday.

Decorated the tree all lovely complete with 24 chocolates and yesterday noticed they were all gone!

Found out that DS had been sneaking downstairs and eating them, and hiding the wrappers behind the couch so he's in big trouble and when I get round to replacing them will have to booby trap them.

mine have been on 2 days and the dc's havent noticed them yet. eldest is 13 and youngest 6 and they know to ask first. there a mini candy canes too, and they are fine.

Allonsy Thu 13-Dec-12 12:13:22

I put on 2 pks about 10 days ago think there was 8 in a pack theres about 2 or 3 left. Ds is not allowed without asking but tbf ive eaten the majority. Tbh though if you leave them to long they taste funny with the heat of the lights sooooo someones got to do it ;)

Quenelle Thu 13-Dec-12 12:04:46

DH would have eaten them all by now if I had put them on already. I'll do it on Saturday 22nd when we've all finished work/school.

BurnThisDiscoDown Thu 13-Dec-12 12:02:26

When we were kids we'd have chocolates on the tree and we never helped ourselves, we knew we had to wait until the tree came down before we could have them. I have absolutely no idea how my mum achieved this, DS is 16 months old and I think the second I went to the loo he'd be up the tree!

MummyPig24 Thu 13-Dec-12 11:57:25

We haven't had chocolates on the tree yet. Dcs are 5 and 2. Ds in particular would nag and nag to have one so I've never bothered. But I think mil has bought some for them to put on the tree so I'll have to think of a rule e.g only after school/dinner.

Startail Wed 12-Dec-12 23:51:20

i have one each for the 12 days of Christmas, woe betide any chocolate hogs, for Mother will eat their chocolate oranges.

3ForMe Wed 12-Dec-12 23:25:05

I put them on secretly. Hidden in the depths of the branches.

They stay on for a few days then someone spots one and they'll be devoured quickly and sneakily.

But it's allowed as its the season of goodwill etc

2kidsintow Netherlands Wed 12-Dec-12 23:20:10

As a kid, my Mum put them on the tree. THere were three of us and I think she put on enough for us to have one each for up to a week.

I don't bother though. My DDs get their daily fix of choc from their calendars and past Christmas will have more than enough choc to stuff their faces with!

The only time I buy Choc tree decs is to put one each in the Christmas cards for the kids in my class.

bedmonster Wed 12-Dec-12 21:13:47

grin yes yes, you are not worthy....

Erm, don't know really, they've always asked for stuff in general. No great secrets unfortunately!

And don't worry about the spelling, am currently working my way through some sloe gin - very quickly.

missorinoco Wed 12-Dec-12 21:13:06

Mine are going up on Christmas eve. I can't be bothered with the daily fight about not having them.

spookysal Wed 12-Dec-12 21:08:56

Excuse typos I am taste testing (ahem) Lidls version of baileys tonight and I can confirm it does little for grammer ...

spookysal Wed 12-Dec-12 21:07:25

bedmonster I bow to you. How do you make them ask and not just take when they think you are not looking?

My dc wouldn't go into the kitchen and help themselves to chocolate etc (they are only young) but seem to think the tree is a free for all. Even I tell dd1 to leave it alone she will take when she thinks I am not looking!

bedmonster Wed 12-Dec-12 21:00:52

I always put them on. DC always ask before they eat them though, wouldn't take without asking. I bought a few big packs of the cadburys ones, and have some lindt bells and ferrero rocher (or whatever they're called) hanging ones too. They're pretty much allowed one when they get home from school, along with a healthy snack and drink. Once they're finished, i'm not buying any more. They also have lots of cousins and friends round and they usually have one too. I suppose we've got around 30 different chocs on the tree and i'm guessing they'll be gone in a week or so.

spookysal Wed 12-Dec-12 20:55:07

Oddboots I wish mine lasted long enough for me to do that grin

OddBoots Wed 12-Dec-12 20:44:40

I've never put chocolates on the tree because I'd eat them myself. blush

spookysal Wed 12-Dec-12 20:43:30

Last year dd1 ate all the tree chocs all by herself, I think they lasted an hour! She also bit into the saltdough decorations just to make sure they weren't edible - yuk! grin

Putting them out of reach is a good idea. Although I have visions of the tree going flying as they try climbing it!

Saltire Wed 12-Dec-12 20:32:45

What I could never understand was this - I would put the tree chocs on when the DCs were in bed, ensuring that some of them were round the back of the tree. Yet when they got up in the morning they knew immediately that they were there!

derekthehamster Wed 12-Dec-12 20:32:34

this is my first year doing xmas chocolates (boys are 12 and 9 blush) for that exact reason.

They have been told they can have one when ds2 breaks up from school on the 21st.

cathpip Wed 12-Dec-12 20:29:47

No, we have one left and only because neither of my darling children can reach it (and thats even with the 2 year old pushing a chair over and standing on that to see if she could reach it). As hubby says mothers daughter, why he wastes his money on them i don't know!!

DoubleMum Wed 12-Dec-12 20:29:10

Mine aren't allowed to eat them without asking, but as I had 4 children here at the weekend and there were only 6 chocolates they are almost gone!

spookysal Wed 12-Dec-12 20:23:00

Dc will eat ALL the tree chocs the minute my back is turned. Well dd1 will eat most of them of them, if she's feeling kind she may unwrap some for her little sister.

Do you put tree chocs on? Do you have more success than me in keeping them on the tree?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now