Come and talk to me about turkeys......

(8 Posts)
ViperInTheManger Tue 11-Dec-12 20:01:43

I have had turkeys from all sorts of places and can say honestly that we have never noticed much difference. Consequently I just go to the supermarket and buy one, saves a fortune compared to the butcher.

orangina Tue 11-Dec-12 19:59:01

Thanks all.... Will probably go for a bronze, on the basis that I prefer the dark meat on a turkey anyway, and it seems to be touted as tastier.....

PeppermintonCandyCane Tue 11-Dec-12 14:28:26

I usually get a frozen Tesco Finest Bronze for £20. Good value as long as you remember to defrost it

Benaberry Tue 11-Dec-12 12:56:41

Ours comes from a local farm too - pricey (actually, no worse than a "premium" supermarket one) but best turkey I've ever had.

Ours are definitely bronze - they run around the field outside the farm shop before Christmas...

Hobbitation Tue 11-Dec-12 12:39:54

I don't know about bronze or white but we've always got one from a local farm. Cost a bloody fortune last year though.

Benaberry Tue 11-Dec-12 12:22:10

Personally I think bronze does taste nicer, but that could just be where we buy it from rather than the type

White I think came about because of the fashion for perfect looking white meat, a bronze turkey will always have dark marks from the black pin feathers. They also tend to be slower growing breeds, so less quick to turn a profit (plus they'll eat more in that time so cost more to produce), and not the OTT massive breasted shape you tend to see in adverts showing the "ideal" Christmas.

Bronze has had a resurgence in recent years, no doubt helped by the celeb chefs, and the fashion for "heritage" stuff, and therefore the associated increased price tag!

WholeLottaRosie Mon 10-Dec-12 20:55:45

What's the difference?
About £40 probably smile

orangina Mon 10-Dec-12 20:11:35

......white or bronze? What's the difference? Do I care?

(confused)

confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now