What to do if you told dc they couldn't have X as its too expensive but got it as a surprise but want something different??

(8 Posts)
duletty Sun 09-Dec-12 19:54:11

Ds 8 asked for an IPod touch for Christmas, we said no...too expensive and thought it would get broken anyway, so he asked for some Lego. My ds is an amazing help to me and dh and is fantastic at looking after his db and dsis and is just a fab person, so we wanted to get him the iPod thinking he would be over the moon. He knows his brother is getting a 3ds xl for Christmas and has now told two father Christmases that he would like this for himself. He would never say he was disappointed with his present, but should we keep it for his birthday or just give it? Christmases are usually the big present and birthday small..as there's usually a party too.

I have a niggle as he hasn't asked for an iPod again, but is always mooning over his cousins.....any thoughts?

fraktion Sun 09-Dec-12 19:56:29

Can you pre-warn a Father Christmas to feign surprise when he says about the 3DS and say he heard he wanted an iPod touch?

Then adjust based on his reaction.

OhTheConfusion Sun 09-Dec-12 19:57:48

Does he have a ds already? My DS (10) has a an older dsi and got a new ipod touch with his birthday money in the summer... he plays it all the time. He has games downloaded, hooks upto wifi etc. I would give hime it.

cocoachannel Sun 09-Dec-12 20:29:27

Is he just asking for the DS as you've told him no to the iPod touch? The way you describe him he sounds a lovely, sensitive boy who may have readjusted his wish to something he thinks he may get as not to upset you? I'd go with the iPod touch.

duletty Sun 09-Dec-12 20:56:16

Thanks everyone.....I really appreciate your replies

It's just that little wobble where you think argh wrong present! I think he's just not mentioned it again as he thinks there's no chance...here's hoping and he will be chuffed with the present

TenPercenter Tue 11-Dec-12 02:06:44

I would say give the ipod touch, they really are very good and unlike the 3ds xl games can be had for free or very little, along with all of the other things it does.

Honestly any child would be delighted with an ipod touch, if his brother is getting the 3ds I'm sure they could give each other a go too.

duletty Tue 11-Dec-12 22:50:26

All madness anyway! We did the letter to father Christmas on the fire/up the chimney this evening and ds2 was with his 3ds, fluffy socks and mentos! Ds1 on the other hand wrote hobbit and LOTR Lego.....and dd who is three kept saying I don't know I can't decide....what's with kids these days?!? I used to pour over an Argos catalogue salivating at all the toys and turning over the pages at the corner hoping that 'someone' would notice!

He better like it...he's got his name engraved on it!

FredWorms Tue 11-Dec-12 22:54:16

He'll love it. I've learnt this after several years of similar angst. When Christmas morning comes they forget the wish list and just love it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now