how do you get the lights evenly on the tree?

(37 Posts)

I am sitting here looking at our tree and its shambolic. There are spaces with no lights and bits with too many.

How do you all do it? I took my time and really tried this year and still its uneven.

JumeirahJane Wed 05-Dec-12 10:48:48

DH and DD got the Christmas box out whilst I was enjoying a lie-in, so I didn't really have much of a say. The lights are nearly even, bless them, and there's an unsightly big sparkly cluster of green baubles just at DD's armsreach, but as long as they are happy, there's no fallout smile

Phoebe47 Wed 05-Dec-12 18:45:11

I don't! DH does it with a bit of help from DD2.

Another squinter here grin

I kind of swag the lights from side to side so that they almost meet at the back but I don't have to get stuck go behind it.

chocolateicecream Wed 05-Dec-12 19:33:44

I used to spend hours getting it all to look perfect, nowadays the children come along and blitz it!

gazzalw Mon 10-Dec-12 09:47:43

We've decided not to put on tinsel this year and I could instantly see huge gaps in the lighting. Think we will have to get some more lights...

BeaLola Mon 10-Dec-12 10:00:46

DH& I discuss disagree every year when doing the lights. We did them last night & he moaned nicely & threatened to get a fake pre-lit one for next year rather than the lovely real one we have, althoughI would agree getting more & more expensive.

We turn lights on first to make sure working (!) & then leave on whilst we put on tree - we have 2 sets of 400 micro white lights on it & it looks gorgeous. We tend to start at top & go round & do the same with the second set & it looks pretty even - tend to stand back & squint too.

Some0ne Tue 11-Dec-12 16:10:57

We have 512 lights. There are no gaps grin there's barely any tree visible between the lights

Longtime Fri 14-Dec-12 19:59:30

A tip. Make sure your lights are working BEFORE you put them on the tree. A fellow mumsnetter put hers on (loads of them) the tree only to find they didn't work! confused smile

PPT Fri 14-Dec-12 20:03:24

Squint!

choccyp1g Fri 14-Dec-12 20:10:34

I've not put my tree up yet, and I think I have had an inspiration. It's a fake tree that you build from the bottom up; would it work to put the lights in between each layer of tree, as I am building it up?

zenaprincesswarrior Sat 15-Dec-12 10:03:10

Another squinter!! I was told if you squint your eyes and you should see the shape of a Christmas Tree

falalalalagirl Sat 15-Dec-12 21:57:37

Big string of lights and a teeny-tiny twig tree (approx one metre tall).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now