Do teachers like homemade foodie gifts?

(72 Posts)
everydayaschoolday Sun 25-Nov-12 21:26:22

Might teachers be wary of hygiene concerns of homemade foodie gifts? I don't want to waste an afternoon baking <in spotlessly clean kitchen grin> if gifts are going to be quietly discarded, when I can easily get something else instead that would be appropriate. Really looking for honest replies if there are any teachers/TAs reading.

Nicknamenotavailableeither Sun 25-Nov-12 21:29:11

Most teachers I know (I teach year 2) would quietly throw away I'm afraid. Sorry, you did want honesty though!! grin

everydayaschoolday Sun 25-Nov-12 21:30:13

PS I love homemade foodie gifts and am not putting down those who make them. I love gifts like these - yum! Just not sure everyone else feels the same.

everydayaschoolday Sun 25-Nov-12 21:32:26

Thank you Nickname I really did want honest replies, because I was getting that impression. Cheers for honesty thanks

Greensleeves Sun 25-Nov-12 21:33:41

yes!

twinklytoes Sun 25-Nov-12 21:35:29

I've always sent foodie gifts in, but know the teachers well and also donate foodie stuff to all the fetes. (i am registered with local council as run a cake company from home in my spare time).

Chunkamatic Sun 25-Nov-12 21:37:06

Really? I made a big box of cupcakes for DS1's nursery teachers and they seemed appreciative, wa going to do similar for Christmas but am worried now they will look at the and go bleurgh!!!
DS has o any TA's in his class I wanted to giv something that they could all have...

stargirl1701 Sun 25-Nov-12 21:37:17

It depends on the home grin

Greensleeves Sun 25-Nov-12 21:37:49

god I wouldn't throw away! I would be pathetically grateful and we would eat it. I have more basic trust in people than to assume a homemade gift is contaminated. And I give them too, to friends and my own children's teachers/TAs. Some people are so fastidious sad

Chunkamatic Sun 25-Nov-12 21:38:05

Sorry for bad typing, I'm on a phone!

bedmonster Sun 25-Nov-12 21:38:21

I was a TA many moons ago and sadly any home made goodies got quietly binned. It was such a waste of food/time but I was never keen in the idea, mainly because I wondered if the children had helped and I had lots of experience with them and where their hands wander!
Sorry, it really is a lovely idea but my advice would be to keep the home baking for friends/family/neighbours/me... smile

Nicknamenotavailableeither Sun 25-Nov-12 21:38:45

Glad you don't mind the answer! I know I'd be miffed if I spent the afternoon baking and then it was chucked so you are better off saving your self the hassle! I too like homemade foodie bits normally, but the school context changes things slightly! grin

Honestly, no gifts are expected though! So don't put pressure on yourself! (Although I shall be doing same thing and buying pressie for dd's teacher and ta in year 1) smile

i made little bags of cookies for the pre-school staff in the summer (there were 15 of them!) and enclosed a note saying that DD1 had NOT helped in the making of them so they were safe to eat! i hope that made a difference. i've never given home made gifts before and would be gutted to think they'd been chucked.

Nicknamenotavailableeither Sun 25-Nov-12 21:41:19

Box of sweets / biscuits would be appreciated if you wanted to get something where there are lots of staff you want to give to maybe? Probably cheaper than getting ingredients anyway. Just an idea though!

PlateSpinningAtAllTimes Sun 25-Nov-12 21:45:31

I think as long as they're handed in with firm reassurances that your child has been carefully monitored/sanitised throughout the whole process they will be very much appreciated! On the whole I prefer homemade presents from children and tend to keep the (non edible, obv) ones for posterity

Elfontheshelfiswatchingyou Sun 25-Nov-12 21:48:24

We eat them at our school- cake is always appreciated and never gets chucked. smile

everydayaschoolday Sun 25-Nov-12 21:48:58

thanks for all replies. On the counter I have 1 x 'yes' and 2 x 'try something else'. Much appreciated.

I'm a teacher and would love that! Anything like that gets pooled in the staff room and eaten at our school in minutes usually!!

everydayaschoolday Sun 25-Nov-12 21:50:07

Oh that's now 3 x 'yes' and 2 x 'try something else' smile

everydayaschoolday Sun 25-Nov-12 21:50:43

4 yes' - can't keep up now grin

Greensleeves Sun 25-Nov-12 21:51:08

I am a teacher btw if that wasn't clear - and would never throw away anything made for me by a child or a parent. Any present would give me immense pleasure and be appreciated

mumto2andnomore Sun 25-Nov-12 21:52:21

I'm a teacher and love home made !

everydayaschoolday Sun 25-Nov-12 21:53:29

5 x 'yes' 2 x 'try some thing else'

It depends on the home/parent they come from!

clam Sun 25-Nov-12 21:55:01

Yes, lovely idea. Although my puppy got hold of the homemade chocolate truffles I was given last year and it cost me over £200 at the vet!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now