COFFEE MACHINE RECOMMENDATION

(34 Posts)
accessorieshelp Tue 20-Nov-12 08:07:41

Am contemplating getting DH one either for Christmas or our 10th wedding anniversary, it needs to make espressos & lattes (pref)/cappuccinos, easy to clean, probably pods, compact. Budget absolute max £200

any tips? (not sure if this is the right place to post?)
thanks

accessorieshelp Thu 22-Nov-12 12:52:49

ah imperial I'm intrigued now but can't find them

not quite sure where ours would go either - it would have to go one the dumping ground unit that has the radio on

ceeveebee Wed 21-Nov-12 23:26:23

We have a Krups espresso machine which makes lovely lattes

ImperialStateKnickers Wed 21-Nov-12 23:17:42

accessorieshelp if you look on Active the top three stories are currently all about the saga of Coffee***, Clumsy* and the shared party for 4 year olds. Over a thousand posts today between them, quite possibly a MN record.

Probably all gone by the morning, HQ are showing signs of pressing the Big Red Button.

Wish I had room for a coffee machine sad, either it or the Kenwood had to go when we moved to a bigger house with a smaller kitchen. Cake making won.

Liveinthepresent Wed 21-Nov-12 21:22:05

Another vote for Gaggia classic - ours was a gift and I worried at first it would be a hassle but we love it - use it pretty much everyday - even make myself a coffee to take to work rather than buying one nowadays.
Had it about 5 years I think and still going strong.
I am quite discerning about my coffee and based on my experience ( although I haven't used a pod machine for a while) you can't beat it.

I have a di longhi easy serving espresso machine. I'm very happy with it.

fengirl1 Wed 21-Nov-12 18:47:47

The Starbucks machine also takes K fee pods - available in Tesco as Podpronto, or you can order on the net.

Caerlaverock Wed 21-Nov-12 18:24:54

I don't find the gaggia a faff to clean. I just tip the grounds in the compost rinse under a tap.

accessorieshelp Wed 21-Nov-12 18:24:38

anyone got the Lavazza A Modo Mio?

accessorieshelp Wed 21-Nov-12 18:16:18

you've lost me there imperial

ambi we have one of those. Am now feeling lazy about not doing it your way. I do find though that the espresso it makes isn't creamy enough (if that makes sense)

Ambi Wed 21-Nov-12 18:11:27

I've been after a decent cappucino maker for ages without the faff (and expense)of a huge machine and have jusr bought a bialetti moka stovetop espresso maker, it's fabulous and use it everyday. I heat the milk in the microwave and use an ikea milk frother, add espresso and hot water. Amazing coffee.

ImperialStateKnickers Wed 21-Nov-12 18:07:16

Be careful posting any thread with 'coffee' in the title today... <wanders back off thread giggling childishly>

accessorieshelp Wed 21-Nov-12 18:05:07

rarely thanks for that - it seems that the machine has been updated so they are selling an old one (in black only) for £99 which is half the price of the X7.1. Do you know which you have?

Seems like a lot of you are fans of the Nespresso...

Umicar Wed 21-Nov-12 17:48:05

We have a Nespresso Citiz, I love it and wouldn't be without it now. Pods are around 30p, uses fresh milk. As someone else mentioned there is an offer at the mo for £40 of free coffee (works out about 130 free cups!). Small foot size too.

Pufflemum Wed 21-Nov-12 17:45:44

Oh I had better stock up on pods then in case they discontinue them! I have had the machine a few years. If it eventually breaks I will replace it with a Nespresso, we used to have one at work and the coffee was good, although not so convenient for frothing milk I believe.

RarelyUnreasonable Wed 21-Nov-12 17:42:50

Machine from Francis Francis and illy pods. On phone, but google espressocrazy. It's the biz, bollocks du chien, etc.

accessorieshelp Wed 21-Nov-12 17:40:17

thank you everyone.

like the idea of a Gaggia - caerlaverock I'm worried that a 'classic' would be a faff to clean. pufflemum Caffialty seems to be discontinued...

Pufflemum Tue 20-Nov-12 13:24:19

I have a Gaggia caffialty. It uses pods which you can buy from Amazon and has a steamer. The cappuccinos are amazing.

The Latissima is surprisingly easy to clean. I worried about that too, but as long as you don't leave milk in it for days, which would be grim, it's very easy.

Unlike others I love my Tassimo! I like Costa Coffee though and thats the tie in brand for pods.

Caerlaverock Tue 20-Nov-12 13:19:17

I like to keep it real with a gaggia classic. If he is a really coffee buff he will appreciate

The Stabucks machine isn't fresh milk though is it? And the pods are about 50p each shock

schilke Bosnia-Herzegovina Tue 20-Nov-12 13:16:29

Have Citiz with milk frother. It is great. I considered The Latissima, but like dottyaboutstripes I thought it would be a pain to clean.

Am just waiting for my latest coffee delivery - got the new coconut variation in it! They collect and recycle the used pods.

We have a Delonghi Magnifica which is just brilliant. Grinds the coffee from beans, is very easy to clean and makes lovely coffee. Grounds are easily disposed of, theres no mess at all. Maybe a bit over your budget but I dont think I paid more than £200 this time last year, so maybe a bit of googling?

this one

TimothyTumblespring Tue 20-Nov-12 12:39:43

Starbucks have launched a home coffee maker. It's called Verissimo. It uses pods to make lattes, cappuccinos and filter coffee. You can buy it online and you can also set up so they deliver pods to your front door every week. Amaze balls.

lisad123 Tue 20-Nov-12 12:37:16

Go to your local supermarket and check which has the best range of pods ect. I brought dh a seneso a few years back but now struggle to find the pods in most places. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now