Home made christmas presents you would like to recieve.

(57 Posts)

So i have no money this year and thought i might make people presents instead. I am fairly handy with the old sewing machine and the things i am thinking of making include aprons, lunch bags, shopping bags, table mats and other such stuff.
Would you mind getting stuff like this?

VerySmallSqueak Mon 19-Nov-12 16:03:10

Thanks flubba and InNeedOfBrandy smile
I know a few people I could do those for so I'll definitely be giving them a go!

InNeedOfBrandy Mon 19-Nov-12 15:56:18

Sorry VerySmallSqueak didn't see you asking me there!

I use felt in a star shape about the size of your palm, sew the two star shapes together apart from one section, you can either turn it inside out to make it neater or just fill with normal (I bought value rice for this) and sew back up. 30 seconds in the microwave keeps it warm for 20 minutes or so. (my nan puts them inside her gloves on the morning and evening dog walk)

Frontpaw Mon 19-Nov-12 15:20:41

I would love all of those things (and cake). Or a table cloth (our table is weirdly long and ready made cloths to fit are really expensive.

flubba Mon 19-Nov-12 15:15:24

Now where were all of you this past weekend when I had a craft stall?? - I was trying to sell many of the things you've listed as wanted! smile

swanthingafteranother Mon 19-Nov-12 13:09:09

Oh and table mats would be fab, or oven gloves even. Never enough of those, especially themed, autumnal or winter even rather than specifically Xmas. Or even 4 season mats, Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn. For families with kids, it is the sort of thing children love seeing on the table/setting table with.

swanthingafteranother Mon 19-Nov-12 13:07:22

embroidered Xmas decs (my SIl gave us some two years ago) we still hang them up.
homemade jewellery, brooches
pincushion...No-one has given me one, but I would love one

No more bags - ever!

hand towel with embroidery would be nice, or plain napkins with some applique or decs.

any sort of living plant, however humble in nice pot, ie: potted up daff bulbs, or hyacinth

jam, simple plain doesn't have to be fancy mixture or chutney, homemade always delicious with short shelf life so you can justify gobbling it up!

biscuits ...bit of a bore with so much sweet stuff around, but nice enough

Jar of sweets actually would be welcome too with a nice ribbon!

wonkylegs Mon 19-Nov-12 07:38:12

I've been asked if I do but no it's just a hobby as up til now I've always had a FT career that took up most of my time.
It's crossed my mind that I could do something with it whilst I wait for the job market to pick up (my profession has been hit really badly by the recession)

peggyblackett Mon 19-Nov-12 07:16:59

Do you sell your stuff wonky?

wonkylegs Mon 19-Nov-12 07:02:54

grin
I've just been made redundant, so this year I actually will have time to make them too!

cashmere Sun 18-Nov-12 21:46:32

Can I be your friend wonkylegs!

wonkylegs Sun 18-Nov-12 18:57:29

So far the homemade things I've done that have gone down well (some of which I've had repeat requests for), soft toys for small children (check your stitching is good tho), kids aprons, handmade fabric bags of sweets, embroidered cushions, calendars, handpainted silk scarves, jewellery, jars of fudge & chocolate truffles, photobooks, silk lined jewellery box, kids clothes (check sizes), bags, fabric Christmas decs, hooded bathtowels (animals/dinos etc), dressing up costumes for kids, playmats for babies, embroidered hankies (great grandparents)...
They go down well if they really suit the person you give them to rather than generically making stuff, then it'll be less hit & miss!

poppy283 Sun 18-Nov-12 18:39:22

I'm doing cranberry + orange infused vodka for the 20-somethings in our family, which I'd like to receive, if I wasn't breastfeeding...

I once got a lovely long scarf from a friend which I really loved.

Cushion covers are always welcome.

ZZZenAgain Sun 18-Nov-12 18:30:30

I'd love to get homemade jam. I'd appreciate an apron OP but I wouldn't really have use for the tablemats, lunch bags.

Vivalebeaver Sun 18-Nov-12 18:23:22

I've made some pear and chocolate jam today which I'm intending on giving to people for Xmas. Thought it was a bit different.

cashmere Sun 18-Nov-12 18:21:48

Just remembered when we were kids we had pyjama bags on our beds too! Maybe a bit retro!

cashmere Sun 18-Nov-12 18:18:14

I'd like/have the following:-

Little drawstring bags to put underwear or shoes in when packing. These would be easy to make and a luxury item.

Christmas table runner

Drawstring laundry bags- could do a set of 3 for darks, whites and coloureds.

I would like an apron for baking with DS as it tends to get messy.

Kids aprons with matching 'chef' hats and tea towels (throw in cookie cutters and wooden spoon from Wilkos)

Little fabric for storing a couple nappies and wipes to put in handbag as opposed to changing bag.

Allalonenow Sun 18-Nov-12 18:06:59

I'd like an apron.
Shoe bags with drawstring tops to help with suitcase packing would be very useful too, I never have enough of them.
Also like little bags of lavender to hang in the wardrobe are always a treat.

queenofthepirates Sun 18-Nov-12 17:56:37

One of these
pinterest.com/pin/264164334364497354/
polystyrene half ring covered with fabric strips and glued on the back
Add felt holly and you're done.

I would love a homemade gift but to really appreciate it I'd want it to be something I actually need/use.
I've got 2 handmade gifts I'm making this year. A throw for my mum, and we've agreed pattern and colours so I know it will be what she wants. For sister-in-law its a crochet felted teacosy and matching ovengloves, because a few months back she was on about wanting a teacosy and had liked the ovengloves I made for myself.
I know it kind of isn't much of a surprise, but I'm self conscious with homemade gifts (that can't be returned or exchanged) so I only do them if there's been a specific request, or I've offered and I've seen a genuine happy response!

MrsJohnDeere Sun 18-Nov-12 17:46:30

Food except chutney (got lots last year and hate it). Chocolates, fudge, Parkin at great.

Things you can enjoy but don't need storing for ever.

mirry2 Sun 18-Nov-12 17:39:47

A peg bag would be useful.

trikken Sun 18-Nov-12 17:38:50

fudge definitely. I like all your ideas.

ivykaty44 Sun 18-Nov-12 17:38:16
ivykaty44 Sun 18-Nov-12 17:36:21

really nice door draft excluders

DalekInAFestiveJumper Sun 18-Nov-12 17:34:37

Shopping bags definitely a winner IMO. I have a couple my MiL made a while back and they've held up a lot better than the crummy ones I get from the store. Plus, the ones my MiL made have corgis on them, which is way more fun than store logos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now