Not sure to put in christmas or food

(36 Posts)
InNeedOfBrandy Fri 16-Nov-12 19:35:19

My mum has asked me to make a trifle for Christmas day after I had the bright idea of a blackforest trifle. How am I going to make it!

InNeedOfBrandyButter Mon 24-Dec-12 15:29:06

Just to update on what I did if anyone's interested smile

I dd chocolate Swiss roll and black cheers soaked in cherry brandy then a raspberry jelly over that,

Then chocolate custard

Then whipped double cream

Then the last few cherrys that I soaked over night in cherry brandy on the top

Fingers crossed everyone likes it tomorrow!

I don't like custard (especially hot or warm (bleurgh) but I do:

jam swiss roll, tinned peaches with a drizzle of juice.
Easi Yo fruit squirt (either passionfruit if I CBA taking the seeds out or strawberry.)
Fresh strawberries if I have them.
Sainsbury Taste the Difference custard.
Then chill.
Then some whipped cream and finely crushed peanut brittle.

No jelly
No sherry

Lush grin

4forkssake Fri 16-Nov-12 23:28:37

Here's nigellas version to adapt

www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-feasts/chocolate-cherry-trifle-recipe/index.html

Definitely custard in the trifle. The best trifle is raspberry Swiss roll, smothered in sherry (the only time sherry is ever right!), covered with a layer of fruit cocktail set in raspberry jelly, layer of said custard, layer of whipped cream & flake, strawberries, raspberries or the like to top. Yum yum yum. And if it doesn't make a huge squelch when you dive in, it's not a trifle grin

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 16-Nov-12 21:06:55

I'll have a google thanks owed

OwedToAutumn Fri 16-Nov-12 20:53:46

We sometimes have chocolate and cherry trifle. I use the chocolate pudding from the nigella express book. It's not sickly sweet at all, the cocoa makes it quite bitter sweet. Lovely.

LadyMaryChristmas Fri 16-Nov-12 20:53:32

warm custard and bananas is nice.

I don't think a lot of continental countries put custard on their trifles. wink remember my mother's attempts. Custard complete with thick skin. [vom]

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 16-Nov-12 20:51:13

No never bin wink
If you have it with bananas you can kid yourself your getting one of your 5 a day and it's good for you.

Yes cold custard is disgusting. And I, for one, have never stood by the fridge door and sucked it directly out of the Ambrosia tetra pack carton. Honest.

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 16-Nov-12 20:41:18

I could so eat a trifle right now. With lots of cold custard mary!

LadyMaryChristmas Fri 16-Nov-12 20:36:30

Cold custard is disgusting.

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 16-Nov-12 20:24:35

I have a bag of black forest fruits in my freezer of dark sweet cherrys blackcurrents grapes and blackberries. I also have a bag of dark sweet cherrys.

Right am going to do a trial run with the forest fruits choc swiss roll and jelly at the bottom and kirshc. Then the custard (I like the idea of white choc custard) then the cream with choc curls a crunched up flake and cherrys.

Ahardyfool Fri 16-Nov-12 20:18:48

Yeah, you just need to translate it into Black Forest but preserve the essence of all that is the perfect vision of trifle.

So, are you doing choc sponge, cherry pie filling stuff, cherry jelly, kirsch and then a custard replacement?

White choc custard could be nice too...

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 16-Nov-12 20:12:44

No how can you say eww. You should be saying mmmm grin

Ahardy you have a point an original trifle (with the sherry in) is a work of art. Got to have a black forest one though oh did I mention my grandma who is german is going to be there. It really has to impress!

Ahardyfool Fri 16-Nov-12 20:08:27

My favourite trifle style is trifle sponge boudoir wotsitty biscuits, some raspberryified jelly in a thick layer, a mid sized layer of birds custard gone cold, a very thick layer of whipped cream, flicked up shepherds pie stylee and then hundreds and thousands. smile

LadyMaryChristmas Fri 16-Nov-12 20:08:03

Ewww! shock

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 16-Nov-12 20:07:43

Mmm those pictures bin, I am so doing a trial run this weekend.

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 16-Nov-12 20:07:12

I love custard, my mum always does it with blancmange which has nothing on lovely cold custard. mmm

LadyMaryChristmas Fri 16-Nov-12 20:03:28

You don't need custard! {boak}

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 16-Nov-12 20:02:56

I like the dark choc mousse idea.

Binfull why did I not think of trial runs! And I to also like the sponge in the jelly. I have no idea how to make jelly with the cherries and kirshc though.

If you make a jelly with the cherries, kirsch and gelatine leaf, would that work?

I don't like a layer of wobbly jelly in a trifle, I like it soaked into a sponge so it makes that delicious squelch when you spoon it.

You'll have to make a few test run trifles.

I do my weekly shop in a Black forest supermarket and it takes all my will not to buy a fresh Schwarzwaldertorte every week. They do a kind of chocolate "wave" on the top which looks quite cool. I'll try and find a pic.

Ahardyfool Fri 16-Nov-12 20:00:03

Dark choc mousse in place of custard.

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 16-Nov-12 19:55:24

No it needs jelly and custard and cream and fruit and chocolate and alcohol. <my thread I get the gavel grin>

Trifle needs custard <<gavel>>
And no jelly <<gavel again>>

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 16-Nov-12 19:52:57

Mmm I can't wait for christmas now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now