Macaroni cheese with extra roasted veggies
Tick off three of your five-a-day with this delicious twist on a family favourite. Have kids who refuse to eat their greens? Blitz the vegetables and stir through the sauce – they'll never know!
In this sponsored collaboration with Arla Big Milk, Mumsnet vlogger Natalie shows you how to sneak some extra veg into a much-loved family meal.
- 600ml milk
- 250g grated cheddar
- 250g macaroni
- 40g plain flour
- 40g butter
- 50g grated parmesan
- 1 broccoli head, chopped into small chunks
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tin of sweetcorn
- Cook the macaroni per packet instructions.
- Toss chopped broccoli and red pepper in a pan with oil and then place them on to the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes (200°C/400°F/gas 6).
- Melt butter in a saucepan; add the flour slowly to make a roux.
- Gradually whisk in the milk to get rid of any lumps. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the sauce is nice and thick.
- Add three quarters of the cheese to the sauce and stir until melted.
- Mix the cooked macaroni together with the roasted vegetables and the sweetcorn and put in an oven-proof dish.
- Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese and put under a hot pre-heated grill until the cheese is golden.
- If you want an extra crispy top, sprinkle a handful of breadcrumbs on top of the dish just before it goes under the grill.
- You can be extra sneaky by blending the roasted veg straight into the sauce. Your kids will never know it's in there.
With thanks to our Mumsnet blogger Natalie
Want to get involved with videos like this? Join the Mumsnet vloggers' network – just email us at email@example.com