Booking a family ski holiday - what you need to know
If this is the first time on the slopes for you, your partner or your children (or all of the above), check out these tips from seasoned Mumsnetters before you book
1. Be realistic in your expectations
"Don't expect to do too much - this is not like skiing pre-children."
2. Location, location, location
"Three hours on a coach with a baby on your knee and a moaning three-year-old? Go for a resort with as short a transfer time as possible."
Things to investigate:
- Are the runs suitable for the abilities and ages of all who'll be skiing?
- What off-slope activities are
- What are the apres-ski options?
- If you are flying
or travelling by train, how far away
is the resort from your arrival point?
3. Chalets are sociable - hotels and apartments, less so
If you'd rather stick pins in your eyes than make small talk with other families over supper, then a chalet is probably not for you.
Things to ask about the accommodation:
- What's included in the package
- If it's self-catering, what kitchen facilities are
- How far is it to the slopes?
4. A long bus trip between childcare and the slopes four times a day = no fun
"Handy childcare is very important, preferably in-house childcare - otherwise the whole getting kids to and from places daily can turn into a bit of a palaver."
Checklist for childcare:
- What ages are catered for?
- Is it accommodation-based or
elsewhere in the resort - and where is it in relation to the meeting
point for lessons?
- What session times are available -
and do these fit with your lessons?
- What options are there for
children who don't take to lessons?
- Are there options for evening childcare?
5. Organisation is key
"Get everything out the night before - snacks in pockets, kids' club bags packed - and allow far more time than you think you'll need to get togged up and up the mountain."
6. And before you even THINK about booking...
Travel insurance: is the whole family actually covered for skiing and any other snow sports you'll be doing? This will usually be an extra - so look before you book.
Check out our exclusive Mumsnet discount: save 5% on all Mark Warner ski holidays
Liked this? Try these...
Last updated: 10 months ago