Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

New Marian Keyes....anyone excited?

Spidey66 · 15/02/2022 12:32

So, this Thursday is the release of Again, Rachel, the 25 year sequel to Rachel's Holiday, which is possibly one of my all time favourite books. I do love her books but Rachel's Holiday is my stand out. I must have read it and re read it god knows how many times.

I've preordered it on my Kindle and am biting my nails with excitement!

Anyone else looking forward to it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Polyanthus2 · 18/02/2022 10:19

Grown Ups was a bit of a hard listen on audiobooks - sooo many characters. I think when you are reading a book if it's a bit complex you probably slow down and work out what is going on, or re read, but on audio it belts on to the next bit, gets confusing. I know you can replay but phone might not be to hand.

Please
or

DoingsSophie · 18/02/2022 17:49

I couldn't finish 'Grown Ups' either.

I have started a separate spoiler thread for those who have read it to discuss. I won't link here in case someone accidentally clicks on it and shouts at me :)

Please
or

StiggyZardust · 18/02/2022 18:49

I've never read any of her books. Where should I start?

Please
or

Spidey66 · 18/02/2022 19:10

@StiggyZardust

I've never read any of her books. Where should I start?

Anywhere you like!

Some of her books are about the Walsh sisters (Watermelon/Rachel's Holiday and Again Rachel/Angels/The Mystery of Mercy Close/Anyone Out There) but really except for the two about Rachel they're all standalone, though they make passing references to the other books,
OP's posts:
Please
or

lugeforlife · 18/02/2022 19:42

I am about 2/3 through. Am enjoying it a lot and I like the echoes of the clients in the Cloisters matching Rachel's Holiday.

I really like Maggie actually - plain yoghurt at room temperature. There are bits in this one that reminds me of the bits I liked in Angels.

Please
or

Hasselhoffsheadband · 18/02/2022 19:51

Why didn't people like Grown Ups?

I have enjoyed all the Marian Keyes books I've read, but I've never thought any of them were outstanding. I love her though, her memoir book 'Under the Duvet' was really good and I remember reading it and really relating to it Sad

Please
or

PeggyGa · 18/02/2022 20:36

I adored it!

Please
or

IWishIWasABaller · 19/02/2022 01:42

I just finished grown ups what an ordeal. It was truly shocking if I hadn't have read her name across the front I would have never have known it was a Marian Keyes book. So disappointed. Received my copy of Rachel again today and so nervous. I really loved her old books and the Walsh's so I'm afraid this might also be a let down too Sad

Please
or

UserLibra78 · 19/02/2022 01:51

Love Sushi for beginner and last chance saloon. Recalled my uni days reading them while tucking into the instant noodles at 2am!

Please
or

mrsnec · 19/02/2022 08:09

I don't like books with too many characters. I think I'd made up my mind I wasn't going to like it when I saw the family tree at the start! I'm 60 percent through and if someone was to ask me what it was about I really wouldn't have anything to say!

I love Marian and she comes across so well on TV etc but I think I agree with the Pp who said wait until this new one is reduced. I paid 4.99 for Grown ups and it's not even worth that!

Please
or

Juno22 · 21/02/2022 22:14

In preparation for the new book I'm rereading Rachel's Holiday. I remember loving it, as I did with all Marián Keyes books at the time. Yet I'm now not loving it at all. It's just ok and I'm happy to put it down. Maybe my tastes have changed.

Please
or

AnnieSnap · 21/02/2022 22:30

I am absolutely loving Again Rachel. It’s so good. At least as good as Rachel’s Holiday. I have been disappointed with the last few of Marian Keyes’ books. For me they have been wordy, but with very weak stories. This latest is very strong, both in the story and in well drawn characters!

Please
or

HeyGirlHeyBoy · 26/02/2022 17:14

Also really enjoying it! It says early on that it's 2018, in case that sorts the ages mentioned..

Please
or

Ulysses · 26/02/2022 17:49

In listening to it on Audible now. I really enjoy Mariah Keyes reading it. Whenever I read her books it’s always in her voice as well. She has a great way with words, so sharp and humorous with a great deal of warmth. I like the way she cheers other women in her books.

Please
or

Springandsummerarecoming · 26/02/2022 18:17

I’ve loved all the books around the sisters but can’t pay £10 for a book! Maybe when it comes down in price.

Please
or

Spidey66 · 26/02/2022 18:23

I'm really enjoying it....wasn't sure at first, but once it goes into the reasons for Rachel and Luke's split, it gets better.

OP's posts:
Please
or

bookworm14 · 26/02/2022 18:36

I thought it was brilliant - her best book for ages. It was lovely to catch up with all the Walshes again. Made me cry multiple times though!

Please
or

HeyGirlHeyBoy · 26/02/2022 19:14

An interesting point made online during the week, how much do you happily pay for a greeting card for a friend which usually gets binned a few days later? Often nearly half the cost of a book! I was sold anyway, and I'll pass on my copy too.

Please
or

Springandsummerarecoming · 26/02/2022 19:16

I go to card factory and prob spend £1.50 at most 🤣🤣. Can’t justify the £10.

Please
or

MrsWooster · 26/02/2022 19:26

I loved it-the Larky starting tone then the drip feed deepening and deepening.
Bit unsure about the caricature of mammy Walsh-all the terrifying mother /daughter angst that rang so true in RH has gone, apart from little flashes of thoughtlessness…

Please
or

Charliesgotachocolatefactory · 26/02/2022 19:32

I absolutely, unashamedly loved it. It’s a long time since I’ve read a book in one go, picking it up every time I wasn’t doing anything else. It made me laugh out loud at points and I cried several times. I’m off to find the spoiler thread now…

Please
or

Journeylikenomother · 26/02/2022 21:04

I'm about half way through the book.... Really like it BUT it really could have come with a trigger warning...

Please
or

HeyGirlHeyBoy · 06/03/2022 10:10

I don't think books should have a trigger warning tbh... Especially when we know MK writes about the tough stuff. But I won't even read the blurb so a TW would put me right off. Just finished it. Loved it.

Please
or

Ulysses · 06/03/2022 10:25

Someone posted on another thread what the trigger warning was and it was very spoilerly. I'm glad I read it first otherwise id be waiting for the event to happen. I've gotten more adverse to finding out too much about a book.

Please
or

DouglasCrood · 06/03/2022 10:30

Like a pp, I've never felt MK's books were outstanding. I spent most of my childhood in Ireland and still have a parent and sibling living there and I've never liked how she writes dialogue. It's ott. The Walsh family in particular I find unbelievable. They sound like something from Angela's Ashes which simply isn't the reality in modern day Dublin in a naice suburb (Blackrock).

But saying that, I do like her books and she seems funny in person

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.