Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Grown Ups or Thursday Murder Club ?

Windows01 · 20/10/2021 07:30

Don't often buy books, usually go to library but did buy both of these ages ago and not read them yet.

Which book should I go for to read next?

OP's posts:
Please
or

shash1982 · 20/10/2021 07:50

I know not everyone did but I really enjoyed the Thursday Murder Club.
I found it a warm and witty read, will be putting the second one that has come out on my wish list.
Haven't read grown ups so can't comment on that one.

Please
or

Notonthestairs · 20/10/2021 08:01

I've read and enjoyed both. In many ways they have a similar vibe - warm, ensemble stories. I'd opt for MK just because I think she's more accomplished and Richard Osman is a fan of hers (there's a great interview between the two of them at the end of the Audible version of his book - no help to you unless you can track it down elsewhere, but it's basically a love fest!)

Please
or

LookItsMeAgain · 20/10/2021 13:34

I loved Thursday Murder Club. I bought the second one too and loved it.

It took me a while to get through Grown Ups. Not because I don't like Marian Keyes' writing, more that I kept having to revert back to the family tree at the start of the book to work out who was doing what and when Grin.

That probably doesn't help you make your decision though.

Please
or

Windows01 · 20/10/2021 14:02

@LookItsMeAgain

I loved Thursday Murder Club. I bought the second one too and loved it.

It took me a while to get through Grown Ups. Not because I don't like Marian Keyes' writing, more that I kept having to revert back to the family tree at the start of the book to work out who was doing what and when Grin.

That probably doesn't help you make your decision though.

Yes it does and I am going to go with Thursday Murder Club.

That's a good point about getting to grips with the characters, as I found the same with the book I just read, I'm sure a couple of the characters had the same name too which made it even more confusing so will avoid a repeat of that for now!
OP's posts:
Please
or

dollybird · 20/10/2021 14:06

I enjoyed Thursday Murder Club, but I would highly recommend a similar book I just finished called Exit by Belinda Bauer. Similar theme with an older main character, but really clever and funny.

Please
or

Standrewsschool · 20/10/2021 17:11

I found the first half of The Thursday Club to be a book of two halves. Didn’t really enjoy the first half - too much going on. The second half was better written.

Just started reading the second one which seems to be better.

Please
or

SummerOrAutumn · 21/10/2021 08:40

I was disappointed by The Thursday Murder Club. Parts of it were good, and witty, but over all it was a bit boring.

I much prefer Anthony Horowitz's crime thriller series for adults. There are two series, but my favourite is the one where he puts a fictional version of himself in as sidekick to the investigator.

Please
or

BaconAndAvocado · 24/10/2021 18:11

I've read both.
I preferred Grown Ups.
Murder Club was amusing but a bit too twee for my liking.

Grown Ups takes a while to get your head round re who's who! A good family drama.
Marian Keyes is underrated and definitely doesn't belong here n the chick lit category where I think she currently resides.

Please
or

FawnDrench · 25/10/2021 16:14

I've read them both too.

I did enjoy them, but in different ways as they are very different books. However I do think Grown ups is the better book by far - it improves as you go along, whereas the Thursday murder club declines in credulity the further into the book you read.

And Marian Keys is a more accomplished and amusing writer, in my opinion.

Please
or

Windows01 · 25/10/2021 19:12

Haven't actually started either yet and was thinking of doing so this evening. Now swaying towards grown ups.

Also crossing my mind to start both at the same time. Is that a thing?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Merlotthegreat · 25/10/2021 19:19

Nooo, don’t start them at the same time - you’ll struggle to get to grips with the characters.

I’ve read both and definitely enjoyed Grown Ups most.
The Thursday Murder Club was ok to read too but I had higher hopes for it after reading reviews.

Enjoy 😊

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.