Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. You may wish to speak to a medical professional before starting any diet.

Protein powder - any advice

Givemestrengthorgin · 13/05/2020 11:16

I'm doing a lot more running since the new year. When i was at the gym before lockdown the trainer did a test that measures body composition and my muscle mass had decreased from the previous time. She said it was because or the increase in running and that I needed to increase strength training and my protein intake. Looking at taking a protein powder but clueless about which one. I'm trying to lose weight so don't want one that will hinder that by being high in calories. Also, do I take it before or after my exercise?
Any advice much appreciated!

OP's posts:
Please
or

LaLaLanded · 13/05/2020 18:37

@Givemestrengthorgin fair enough, protein powder it is!

Thanks @melissasummerfield I’m going to stock up on the offer!

Please
or

melissasummerfield · 13/05/2020 16:22

I also recommend the phd smart protein - its is also great in porridge if you don't want to have shakes.

Currently on offer at holland and barratt but usually quite cheap on amazon too.

Please
or

Givemestrengthorgin · 13/05/2020 16:20

Thanks @LaLaLanded I'll look at the company. I've started using my fitness pal and it's telling me this last week that I'm only eating around 50% of my recommended protein. Was quite shocked by that as I thought I had a reasonable amount.

OP's posts:
Please
or

LaLaLanded · 13/05/2020 11:39

I use PhD Smart, which I like because it’s low in carbs and less than 100 calories per scoop. It also doesn’t have that horrid texture many of them do - the caramel in particular is actually very pleasant to eat. I mix it with 100g of ricotta and some almond milk, and eat that approx. 20 minutes after a run (having rehydrates gently).

Have you actually calculated how much protein you’re having daily though? Trainers are wont to tell you to eat more protein.

If I were you I’d calculate it over a couple of weeks and then see whether you need more. Strength training is a great idea.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.