Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Wedding dress dilemma - need advice!

Sunrays22 · 06/08/2022 18:35

Hello!

I have a bit of an issue with my wedding dress supplier at the moment and them not responding to messages.

Bit of background - When I initially put my deposit (few hundred £) down on the dress my partner and I were planning on getting married in Spring next year however at the end of May we decided to move ahead on the purchase of our first home with our little one and as a result made the decision to push the wedding back by exactly a year to enable us to have more time to save and not do everything at once.

All of my suppliers have been very understanding when I contacted them to explain apart from the supplier who is making my wedding dress (I should note here I've paid the initial deposit but the dress hasn't been made and wasn't due to be started until this Autumn). I've now contacted her four times since the start of June to ask if the date change is OK and they can still make my dress and have had no response at all! I assumed with it being wedding season it may be because they're very busy but they've been active on social media and have 'seen' the messages.

I'm really unsure what to do as we've paid the deposit and I'd still love the supplier to make my dress. Any advice appreciated, as I've voluntarily moved the date I'm not sure where I stand with my deposit either and if I've just lost that should they continue to not respond.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Kite22 · 06/08/2022 23:55

I'm not sure they actually needed to know. If you wanted it earlier than you had ordered, I could see why, but why not just accept it when it is ready ? One less thing to be stressing about as the wedding gets nearer.

Of course, none of that answers your concern about them not replying to you.

How are you contacting them ?

Would it help to make the e-mail more formal and say you are concerned about their practice as a business?

I am a big believer in a face to face conversation so I would go to visit them if I were not getting a reply.

Please
or

Sunrays22 · 07/08/2022 08:32

Definitely a good point about accepting the dress although I'm hesitant to for two reasons, the first is as it's being handmade my measurements may fluctuate in the extra time before the wedding and I'm not sure how easy alterations would be.

Secondly I wanted to postpone paying the final amount so we could focus on the house move and I'd have some extra time to save afterwards.

But I think perhaps you're right about having a face to face chat with them if possible - just hoping it's not really awkward for some reason!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Headbandheart · 07/08/2022 08:36

If the dress is to a particular design, you should definitely talk to them. By 2024 they may no longer be able to make that design or not want to. Fashions change each season and wedding dresses are I believe no exception.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.