Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Anyone been to Sands resort cornwall recently?

Washimal · 10/06/2021 11:37

DH wants to book Sands Resort Hotel & spa for us to take DS (2.5) and DD (7) away for a few days in the school holidays.

The thought of staying in a hotel with a toddler fills me with dread to be honest, but DH assures me it's all "family friendly" and geared up for small children. Apparently they do family suites with seperate rooms for kids so will be fine. I just worry that I'll spend the whole time trying to keep DS quiet so we don't upset our neighbours.

It looks very nice on the website but the prices making me think it's too good to be true. Is it clean? What's the food like? Would love to hear any recent experiences as all I've found are posts from years ago.

What is the surrounding area like? Are there any nice places to visit locally so we're not confined to the resort the whole time? I don't know the area and although it looks lovely on the photos on the website I know these can be deceiving.

I am a bit nervous as we've only ever stayed in Air BnB, self-catering cottages etc with small children before, haven't been to a hotel since before they were born and that was obviously a very different experience!

OP's posts:
Please
or

BelterDelta · 22/06/2021 15:27

Hi,
We went last Summer instead of the usual Bedruthan and were pleasantly surprised, actually!

The only thing for us that let it down was that the family suite is directly on the main road, so you will get trucks, lorries, motorbikes etc bombing past at all hours….& despite what it says online, the seaview is pretty much non-existent due to the grass mound the other side of the road!!

Having said that, the activities laid on for the children were really, really good, we didn’t run out of things to do and our daughter needed encouragement to eat because she knew there was always something else going on.

There were daily arts & crafts, the swimming was pre-bookable (inside & outside pools) there was mini crazy golf, an indoor funfair which was amazing, the list was endless.

I have exacting standards of cleanliness and hygiene and always look under the bed, behind the door, on the wardrobe top shelf etc for an inkling into what I can expect of the resort and it’s restaurants. All was good in that respect. The restaurant was very well organised and the food was really delicious. A good variety and very well balanced nutritionally.

We used the car to go into Newquay and Padstow, I have mobility issues so cannot walk to the beach but the hotel can provide a picnic for you to take down there, at sunset it is absolutely stunning…we have the most beautiful photo of our daughter sitting on the grass overlooking the horizon at sunset. One of those ‘once in a lifetime’ memories.

The outdoor play areas for the kids are really cool…the zipwire and maze are a big hit.

The only thing thing that let the place down really was the fact that it was the wrong side of the road, which is reflected in the price.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.