My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Share your toy stories and recommendations on our Toy and Games forum.

Toys and games

What are your montessori toy suggestions?

7 replies

sborber · 25/04/2022 21:16

Ever since DS turned 1 I've been a little curious about the montessori method and how to implement some aspects into our home and daily routine. I like to loosely follow it - ie open shelving, wooden toys, have him help with tasks around the house etc. But with him moving into his bigger bedroom (thanks to his baby brother) I'd like to stock up on some recommended Montessori toys that aren't too expensive... The pikler/triclimb triangle is a little out of my budget, but if there's anything else anyone has that they recommend I'd really appreciate the suggestions?

OP posts:
PragmaticWench · 25/04/2022 21:28

Both my DC went to a montessori nursery so I'll just list the toys/activities they had on the shelves there. Many you could easily put together yourself as the idea is to teach them skills they'd need to use on real life home objects.

Pyrex jug with something like dried beans inside that you can pour into a container/pot.

Two small pots, with dried peas/beans in and some small tongs you use to pick up the beans and transfer to the other pot.

Best activity was the locks and catches board teaches them great burglary skills! . You can buy these or make one yourself with items bought from a DIY shop.

Wooden frames, about A4 size, with fabric stretched around and fastened with a zip, or big buttons or velcro.

Shallow wooden or plastic trays with perhaps half a centimetre of sand in the base to draw letters and numbers in, so the colour in the base of the tray shows the pattern they drew.

Relief 3D puzzles of landscapes like hills, rivers, sea that they can learn the names of.

A5 cards with numbers or letters on with sandpaper cut to the shape of the letter or number and stuck on the backing card. They can trace them with their finger as you say the letter or number.

Threading activities. Thick cardboard with long coloured laces you can thread through holes, tied in a knot at one end. Short pieces of drinking straws in a pot to thread onto laces. Dried pasta tubes work as well, or wooden beads.

Not sure if any of that helps?! You might have meant toys you can just buy.

PragmaticWench · 25/04/2022 21:29

All the activities had a small laminated picture stuck on the edge of the shelf so the children knew where to return them as learning to put the toys away was important.

sborber · 26/04/2022 07:27

PragmaticWench · 25/04/2022 21:28

Both my DC went to a montessori nursery so I'll just list the toys/activities they had on the shelves there. Many you could easily put together yourself as the idea is to teach them skills they'd need to use on real life home objects.

Pyrex jug with something like dried beans inside that you can pour into a container/pot.

Two small pots, with dried peas/beans in and some small tongs you use to pick up the beans and transfer to the other pot.

Best activity was the locks and catches board teaches them great burglary skills! . You can buy these or make one yourself with items bought from a DIY shop.

Wooden frames, about A4 size, with fabric stretched around and fastened with a zip, or big buttons or velcro.

Shallow wooden or plastic trays with perhaps half a centimetre of sand in the base to draw letters and numbers in, so the colour in the base of the tray shows the pattern they drew.

Relief 3D puzzles of landscapes like hills, rivers, sea that they can learn the names of.

A5 cards with numbers or letters on with sandpaper cut to the shape of the letter or number and stuck on the backing card. They can trace them with their finger as you say the letter or number.

Threading activities. Thick cardboard with long coloured laces you can thread through holes, tied in a knot at one end. Short pieces of drinking straws in a pot to thread onto laces. Dried pasta tubes work as well, or wooden beads.

Not sure if any of that helps?! You might have meant toys you can just buy.

These are super helpful, thank you! Open to both DIY activities and toys to be honest. Until your response I hadn't thought of activities like these but they all sound great 👌

OP posts:
ZoeQ90 · 26/04/2022 08:06

Check Facebook market place for cheap used toys

Kidaroos · 29/04/2022 08:48

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LookItsMeAgain · 29/04/2022 09:06

Yes to the wooden frames that have buttons, zips, velcro, lace-up closings. That is a life skill being taught at such a young age.

The pink tower (or any stacking tower block) because it will help when stacking the dishes in the press properly in years to come.

The sand boxes - to trace the letters and numbers so that they can see the shapes in the bottom of the box.

Smelling bottles - put different scents into bottles and see if they can work out what they are. Almond essence, lemon, coffee that sort of thing.

You should look at things that can build up motor dexterity in their fingers - so two bowls and put loose rice in one, give them a tea spoon and ask them transfer all of the rice into the other bowl using just the spoon. Also works with water or pasta.

This website is apparently closing down and they have a closing down sale. In case you want to buy the genuine article: Montessori Supplies Shop

LookItsMeAgain · 29/04/2022 09:10

One other thing, in the Montessori method, kids are supposed to return one toy to the shelves before taking another. So if you're doing it right, there shouldn't be any mess in his new room.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.