Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

30 days only

My stepmother has inherited my dad’s £2m

1000 replies

Daisyandthe66 · 24/01/2023 19:24

Hi opinions please as l have to contest my father’s will within 6 months if l am going to. My father died on Friday and l am heartbroken. He was 92. My stepmother won’t discuss the will. I suspect he left her his house worth £1.5m plus all his assets pension etc. The whole
lot is about £2m. Her two daughters were executors if she outlived them. But she didn’t. I suspect we my dad’s three children get nothing. When he divorced my mother to be with my stepmother my mother got barely anything. I spoke with a solicitor today but do you think l am being unreasonable contesting the will?

OP posts:
Please
or

CocoLux · 24/01/2023 19:25

On what grounds would you be contesting it?

Please
or

user1473878824 · 24/01/2023 19:25

Were you close to your father? Was he of unsound mind when he made the will?

Please
or

Celeryfavour · 24/01/2023 19:26

Were you financially dependent on him?

Please
or

Thedaysthatremain · 24/01/2023 19:26

Are you in Scotland?

Please
or

Whatevergetsyouthroughthenight · 24/01/2023 19:27

Sorry for your loss, OP, but you may be jumping to conclusions. He died on Friday and your step mother doesn’t want to discuss the will. I am not surprised - it’s been four days!

Please
or

Walterwhiteswifey · 24/01/2023 19:27

If you're not on the will it will be hard to contest. Having been through a similar situation myself, if you're going to fight it be prepared to pay mega money for a decent solicitor. It will be long, very stressful and no gaurantee. You will have to show why you need the money and prove financial hardship if this is your case. Ultimately it will be a struggle.

Please
or

Bairnsmum05 · 24/01/2023 19:28

I totally get how shit this is, however if he'd wanted you to inherit then he'd have made sure to include you in his will. I'd be annoyed and upset buy at the end of the day its his money to do what he wants with.

Please
or

ZekeZeke · 24/01/2023 19:28

He is hardly cold!
If he had a will and left everything to your stepmother there isn't much you can do.
It's his money, to do as he wishes. That's what wills are for.

Please
or

Walterwhiteswifey · 24/01/2023 19:28

*guarantee

Please
or

Hungrycaterpillarsmummy · 24/01/2023 19:29

I think in Scotland you automatically get something.

Not sure about England but if you can then yes, I definitely would.

Please
or

Hollyhocksauce · 24/01/2023 19:29

Sorry for your loss.
From what you've said, he only died on Friday and yet you're saying that your stepmother refuses to discuss the will. I'm not surprised to be honest. It's only been 3-4 days? Did you really raise the issue of the will in this time?

Please
or

ICanHideButICantRun · 24/01/2023 19:29

I hope your fears are groundless with this. Surely he wouldn't have left you out altogether?

Please
or

thinkponk48 · 24/01/2023 19:29

If he was in sound mind and those where his wishes then I'm not sure how you could contest. How long have they been married, it likely she laid towards the house and investments as well.
I

Please
or

Onnabugeisha · 24/01/2023 19:30

It’s a bit early to be asking your step mother about your fathers will. It’s only been a few days. There are also some assets that are inherited by the spouse independently from the will- ie if she is joint tenant on the house.

Id honestly wait a bit.

Please
or

AttentionAll · 24/01/2023 19:30

If your mother got very little in the divorce it sounds as if he built up these assets while married to the current wife. So sorry but she is entitled to those assets.

Please
or

DrMarciaFieldstone · 24/01/2023 19:30

You brought this up within 4 days?

Presumably she’s living in the house, so of course it would transfer to her. How could you inherit it while she’s living in it?

I don’t think you’ll get very far with this.

Please
or

Bobbybobbins · 24/01/2023 19:30

Sorry for your loss OP but it's quite soon to be discussing this isn't it?

Please
or

AnneLovesGilbert · 24/01/2023 19:30

Bloody hell.

He’s barely even cold. You’ve moved very speedily seeing a lawyer when you don’t even know what the will actually says.

Tbh if this is your response to his death it suggests you weren’t that close and it may have been his understandable wish to leave his assets to his wife.

What went on between your parents is irrelevant.

Please
or

Yesthatismychildsigh · 24/01/2023 19:30

Four days dead and you’re talking about contesting a will you haven’t even seen. If he hasn’t left you anything it’s not hard to see why.

Please
or

Firstmonthfree · 24/01/2023 19:31

I’m not surprised she doesn’t want to talk about the will if he only died on Friday. It’s far too soon

Please
or

NoSquirrels · 24/01/2023 19:31

How long has he been married to your stepmother?

Did he ever discuss a will with you? Did you ever ask him? If not, why not? He was 92 so not an unexpected death, really.

Perhaps your stepmother isn’t able to discuss a will because she doesn’t know yet either?

It’s very quick to assume anything and be consulting solicitors when he only died on Friday.

Please
or

BippityBopper · 24/01/2023 19:31

What grounds would you be contesting?

Please
or

ShoesCoatandBag · 24/01/2023 19:32

If the house was in joint names I’m not sure it is covered by the will anyway.

So sorry for your loss.

Please
or

yousmellnice · 24/01/2023 19:32

Have you even had the funeral yet?!!

Please
or

LlynTegid · 24/01/2023 19:32

Sorry to read of your loss.

I think you should think about funeral arrangements, how you are going to remember your father's long life, and leave discussions about a will until at least after the funeral.

If you are in England and the will was made a while ago, I suspect you may have no grounds to challenge the contents.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?