Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU in having said no to neighbour's sons?

WednesdayAddams94 · 17/07/2022 13:32

So we moved into a flat about 2 months ago with our 2 year old. The last 2/3 weeks I've had the downstairs neighbour's sons asking me repeatedly if my son can go and play with them. For reference, I don't know them at all. I have briefly said hi to their mum a few times but that is it.) At an estimate, I'd say one of them is 11 and the other one, 12/13.

I don't have an issue with these boys but I do find it slightly odd they want to spend time with a 2 y.o considering they have nothing in common. These boys are kind of known for being a bit rowdy. According to one of the other neighbours, one of them put dog poo in her letterbox and they're generally known for hanging about outside all the time, getting into trouble, vaping etc etc etc.

However, since I didn't want to make things awkward between myself and any neighbours (I have said no to them before saying we were busy etc) I said sure, let me grab my things and we can all go out for a bit. (Communal garden) by that point, the eldest was getting annoyed and said he would be taking my son out by himself?! I declined, shut the door and thought that was that.

This morning, mum comes knocking saying what am I playing at, and what my problem is. Increasingly getting angrier. Shouting, swearing, I eventually managed to get rid of mum but only because my DP had returned from the shops by this point and told her to leave or he'd involve the police. I really don't think I am being unreasonable but mum has made me feel like I am? I am also concerned that they will not leave this alone. We only moved in 2 months ago so am worried my response will have caused so many issues for us.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Flamingooooooooooooooo · 17/07/2022 13:45

Oh my god, I’m angry on your behalf!

I have a two year old, there’s absolutely no scenario I’d like her play with anybody that age unsupervised. It freaks me out that they weren’t happy you wanted to watch over them play.

nevermind what I wanted. My two year old would NEVER want to go off without her parents anyway? She’s just not secure enough in herself with strangers yet!

if they ask again “sorry, no, he’s too young to play with you.” And repeat. Repeat the same boring line over and over til they stop asking.

Please
or

fortheloveofcheesecake · 17/07/2022 13:45

daffodilandtulip · 17/07/2022 13:37

Sorry to be extreme but I immediately thought of Jamie Bulger

And me. It'd be an absolute no from me OP.

Please
or

jollygoose · 17/07/2022 13:45

yes my first thought was James Bulger they appear to have an ulterior motive
report to police if you have any more harssment.

Please
or

WhichBitchIsWhich · 17/07/2022 13:46

YANBU

If any of them come round again just smile sweetly and say he's a real handful, a proper little tearaway, you're sure she knows what it's like, you just can't let him out of your sight so he can't go anywhere without you.

That'll probably go down much better (yeah I know you shouldn't have to lie but sometimes it's the easiest way to keep things sweet!)

Please
or

rozzyraspberry · 17/07/2022 13:48

I would never have let my children out on their own with children of that age regardless of whether I knew them or not. In fact my youngest is now 14 and I wouldn't want him to have the responsibility of looking after a 2 year old on his own, you never know what might happen that!

I find the mothers response very strange - you didn't say they couldn't play with your son, just that you would go as well. Nothing to prompt her response.

Please
or

gogohmm · 17/07/2022 13:48

I'm wondering if it was her way of wanting to get to know you. Because your little one is young you would automatically stay and she was hoping to make friends. Not everyone finds it easy to ask another adult if they want to meet for coffee, far easier to ask for a play date

Please
or

rookiemere · 17/07/2022 13:49

God no, why ever would you even consider it ?

Please
or

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 17/07/2022 13:51

Absolutely no way. Whatsoever.

i also thought immediately of Jamie Bulger.

The more likely scenario of course is that they just aren’t old enough to take proper care of him.

I don’t even let my 8 go out to the park or whatever with my 13 yo and she’s incredibly responsible. They need to be with an actual adult until they’re 10/11 imo.

Please
or

user143677433 · 17/07/2022 13:52

God no. That’s really weird behaviour by all of them. Massive red flags.

Please
or

RollerPolarBear · 17/07/2022 13:53

Your primary parenting role is to safeguard your child. Does letting him go out alone with 2 children you don’t know feel like it falls into the category? No - so it shouldn’t happen

Please
or

MrsMitford3 · 17/07/2022 13:57

Sadly me too.

There could be an innocent explanation but it feels very off.
There could also be a not very innocent explanation and to be honest it's not a risk I'd be taking.

I wouldn't let two kids that age that I don't know take my dog out...

Please
or

RaspberryHoney · 17/07/2022 13:57

gogohmm · 17/07/2022 13:48

I'm wondering if it was her way of wanting to get to know you. Because your little one is young you would automatically stay and she was hoping to make friends. Not everyone finds it easy to ask another adult if they want to meet for coffee, far easier to ask for a play date

What?

Please
or

Somanysocks · 17/07/2022 13:57

Me too

Please
or

Nomad916 · 17/07/2022 13:59

Do not let your son anywhere near them.

Please
or

ComDummings · 17/07/2022 14:00

CalistoNoSolo · 17/07/2022 13:35

How can you possibly think you're wrong in this scenario?

This ^

Literally nobody is going to say you’re being unreasonable and you know that.

Please
or

Mammajay · 17/07/2022 14:01

Just keep him close. Tell the boys and their mum, if they ask again, that he is shy. Sound like neighbours you need to keep distanced.

Please
or

Thesearmsofmine · 17/07/2022 14:01

YANBU
I have boys that sounds to be a similar age, they like babies/toddlers and will wave and say hi to them because they think they’re cute but that’s it, it’s not normal for them to want to take him out to play alone. I would be avoiding them as much as possible.

Please
or

Ottersmith · 17/07/2022 14:01

Oh god no way would I let him anywhere near them. Fuck that. You'll have to be firm with them. It's fucking weird.

Please
or

HoppingPavlova · 17/07/2022 14:01

First thought that popped into my mind when I read it also. Seriously, why else would 12yo’s be so keen to take a 2yo off by themselves with no parental oversight. More red flags than a Chinese army.

Please
or

DrunkenKoala · 17/07/2022 14:01

So did I

Please
or

Juanmariaramierz · 17/07/2022 14:02

nightshade · 17/07/2022 13:34

I don't think you are being unreasonable!

Just tell them firmly but nicely he us too little to be out without his mummy but thank you for asking!

This

Please
or

zingerdoo · 17/07/2022 14:03

Honestly, James Bulger was the first person that came to my mind reading this. I have a 3 year old daughter and there is NO WAY I'd let her out with 2 older children I didn't know. Their reaction when you came along would make me feel even more strongly it wasn't a good idea.
Your instincts are absolutely to protect you little boy who is way too young to protect himself which is absolutely the priority.

Please
or

pinkymurder · 17/07/2022 14:03

Same.

Please
or

BellaTheDarkOverlord · 17/07/2022 14:05

That mum was in the wrong. You barely know them. I admit I also immediately thought Jamie Bulger. Why would kids their age be interested in a 2 year old?

Please
or

caramac04 · 17/07/2022 14:05

Christ on a bike no way would I let a toddler out with 2 scallies (at best) !
I would be very wary of their motives and cannot see your lo would be safe with them. They are extremely unlikely to be responsible enough even if their intentions are kind. Which I doubt.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?