Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Doing private tuition and tax properly

Handbaghag · 09/12/2019 19:00

Going to start doing tuition outside work. Want to do it properly rather than cash in hand not declared.
Does anyone have experience of this and how they registered to pay tax/how much did they put aside for this/how difficult were tax returns etc
Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

Handbaghag · 10/01/2020 17:15

Yes I've just read about the £1k limit. I don't think I'll earn more than that. Obviously it would be prudent to record all income but i reckon I might only register after I know I need to but put money aside for tax just in case. Thanks everyone

OP's posts:
Please
or

SpiderHunter · 13/12/2019 10:38

How much are you expecting to earn? I only tutor one day a week and only during term time so I stay (just) below the £1k per year limit. This means I don't have to even send in a tax return.

Please
or

Sewingbea · 12/12/2019 18:52

It's not difficult. Check into what you can set against the income too. E.g. you can set £2 a week against the income as you're using your house for admin time even if you don't actually teach from home. There was a good article in The Guardian about this, if you Google it you should find it. And if you are paying N.I. on your paye job you can opt out of N.I. on your self employed gig.

Please
or

rosesinmygarden · 10/12/2019 09:04

I tutor privately and put away 20% of all self employed earnings. I use Wave software as it invoices clients and does my bookkeeping for me. I do use an accountant as both my dh and I are self employed, employed and partners in an LLP but for a small amount of tuition it would be easy to do yourself.

Please
or

Handbaghag · 09/12/2019 19:41

Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

Blueshadow · 09/12/2019 19:37

It’s pretty easy. Keep receipts. Simple spreadsheet of income/expenditure. Keep about 20% aside for tax - or whatever your tax rate is. Self- assessment each year online.

Please
or

topcat2014 · 09/12/2019 19:32

You can get software to file your return for about #30. Hmrc have their own, but it is fiddly

Please
or

topcat2014 · 09/12/2019 19:30

Assuming no contract issues etc, all you need to do is register with hmrc as self employed. You will pay tax on all your earnings at your highest rate. There may be some extra n I to pay. You need to file a tax return by the end of January following april 5th

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?