My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

The doghouse

Best thermal waterproof gloves

16 replies

Thermalpants · 15/02/2021 09:24

Can anyone recommend good thermal, waterproof gloves? I suffer from raynauds, and the last few days I have been in a lot of pain on walks. My hands feel like they’re being hammered. I have tried heat holder gloves, but they let in the wet. I also tried my son’s football gloves. They are supposed to be thermal and water resistant, but my hands still hurt when wearing them.

OP posts:
CityDweller · 15/02/2021 11:29

How about cycling gloves? The pair I have are properly waterproof (although I haven't used them for dog-walking yet, only cycling! But that's my plan for when ddog arrives)

CityDweller · 15/02/2021 11:29

Oh, and I have v. think silk 'liner' gloves that go inside them for particularly cold days

CMOTDibbler · 15/02/2021 11:39

For waterproof, I can't fault my Sealskinz gloves, but these Alpkit gloves are the warmest gloves I have ever had. I've been toasty even in the really cold wind

Dandelionflower · 15/02/2021 12:49

I wear cycling gloves, I bought them from Aldi in their winter cycling event.

Missingjigsawpuzzle · 15/02/2021 19:25

I have thermal fleecy gloves in my hand size with leather gloves over the top in a size bigger. Warm and waterproof...voila Grin

Thermalpants · 15/02/2021 21:19

Thank you all for your replies. Will have a look online for a decent pair of cycling gloves.

@Missingjigsawpuzzle, I tried putting a pair of medical gloves over my Heat Holders to keep the wet out. It kind of worked. Kept the wet out, but my hands still hurt a bit. Leather gloves would have worked better than latex gloves! 😄

OP posts:
Polkadotties · 15/02/2021 21:21

Sealskinz. Expensive but worth it

Missingjigsawpuzzle · 15/02/2021 23:42

We tried that for snowball making with the kids and like you found, it kept the wet out but not the cold!!!

Girlintheframe · 16/02/2021 06:52

Sealskinz are brilliant for keeping you dry but I don't find them particularly warm though that could just be the ones I have.
They are pricey but you can often get them on sale.

ProperVexed · 16/02/2021 07:08

Mittens! I find that having all my fingers together keeps them warmer than gloves. Have a look at fishing or shooting suppliers....expensive but good.

alpinia · 16/02/2021 07:16

I have Bufflo systems mittens. They are the same fabric as the jackets favoured by the military/mountain rescue. I would recommend them. I've been through all the sealskinz etc.

I wear them dog walking, cycling and for watersports. They are NOT waterproof however if you read about their structure they are designed to stay warm even when wet and I find they only really get wet in the watersports. They are very wind proof and have some level of water resistance. I've had them 8 years and they are still in great condition.

The only negative is it's a bit hard to extract dog treats or take snowy dog photos while wearing them!

MaryIsA · 16/02/2021 07:27

Layering is good. Silk lining, cashmere gloves and then sealskins in a bigger size. Mountain warehouse has some great waterproof gloves in at the moment.

loveyouradvice · 16/02/2021 10:04

mmmmm great thread ... I'll be coming back! Thankyou

ShouldHaveCouldHaveWouldHave · 16/02/2021 12:30

I get really painful fingers too. I wear ski gloves which are much better than my fleece lined leather but I still can’t stay outside for very long!

vedegitsonp1971 · 09/07/2023 21:31

Dealing with Raynaud's can be really tough, especially when the weather is wet and cold. I've had a similar experience with gloves that claim to be thermal and water resistant but still don't provide enough protection.

vedegitsonp1971 · 09/07/2023 21:32

vedegitsonp1971 · 09/07/2023 21:31

Dealing with Raynaud's can be really tough, especially when the weather is wet and cold. I've had a similar experience with gloves that claim to be thermal and water resistant but still don't provide enough protection.

If you're open to trying something different, I recently stumbled upon a blog post - https://blog.harmonycr.com/best-disposable-gloves-for-sensitive-skin/ that helped me find the best gloves for my sensitive skin, and they happen to be quite effective in terms of thermal insulation and water resistance.

Disposable Gloves for Sensitive Skin

Best Disposable Gloves for Sensitive Skin

Find the best disposable gloves for sensitive skin and find nitrile, latex, vinyl gloves with aloe vera for sensitive skin.

https://blog.harmonycr.com/best-disposable-gloves-for-sensitive-skin/

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.