Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Low fat diet: What to give my dog

florriepeck · 06/01/2019 11:26

My elderly rescue Collie cross was very poorly over Christmas, with pancreatitis and gastrointestinal lesions.
He has now recovered, but the vet has advised a low fat diet, ie less than 2%.
Have been giving him plain turkey and cod and poached chicken, and Royal Canin low fat tinned food.
Any ideas for what else I could make for him?
He's a fussy eater; just want to build up his strength and let him enjoy life again; he lost a lot of weight in just a few weeks.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lonecatwithkitten · 11/01/2019 06:53

When you look for a low fat food it is really important you use dry matter for example the nutriment linked too is 5.2% fat ( not a low fat food at that level), but this is wet matter. When you correct for the 73% moisture it is actually 19.3% fat a really, really high fat food.

Please
or

NewYoiker · 11/01/2019 01:09

Tracker by Millie's Wolfheart our dog has lost 7kg (very rotund rescue) he's happy on it

Please
or

Detoxpup · 06/01/2019 11:56

Please
or

babysharkah · 06/01/2019 11:56

Oh same here! Ddog was admitted Boxing Day with pancreatitis and has since been diagnosed with diabetes. He is on the hills w/d wet and we are going to start adding in the kibble.

Apparently a lot of dogs do well on chappie which is low fat enough for the pancreatitis although I would imagine the actual quality of it isn't great.

Please
or

AvocadosBeforeMortgages · 06/01/2019 11:52

Egg whites, raw or cooked. They're 0.2% fat and full of protein. The yolks are relatively fatty so avoid those.

//Www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk allows you to filter by fat content, though I don't know if you'll find one that's as low as 2%

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.