Virgin River - season 4

youngestisapsycho · 18/07/2022 22:45

Starts on Netflix… Weds 20th

OP's posts:
Please
or
to access all these features

Lilifer · 20/08/2022 10:59

Why do so many of you mention the scenery as your reason for watching it?? All they ever show is drone footage of the river and surrounding forest, once you seen one of those shots you've seen them all, I actually find the scenery bits incredibly tedious and fast forward them - I would feel so suffocated living somewhere like that 😩

Please
or

WhatICallMyUsername · 17/08/2022 19:31

Just finished watching and think I watched more because I felt I should than anything else!

Not read the full thread yet but the thing that struck me most is:

End of season 3 cliffhanger: Jack, I don't know if you're the father

End of season 4 cliffhanger: Jack, I don't know if you're the father

They could surely have come up with something else like with Brie and the guy who raped her because nothing seemed to come of him turning up

Please
or

BonnesVacances · 17/08/2022 15:33

I've always wondered how someone as rude and tactless as Hope would ever be elected as mayor. Confused

Please
or

Almondsandraisins · 16/08/2022 16:17

i thought Hope had to give up being Mayor when she had her heart attack? Although goodness knows who is the Mayor now!

Probably Connie in between her actual job, running the bakery truck, looking after her niece, looking after Paige's kid, sewing, knitting and crocheting in Jack's bar and keeping all the gossip going...

To be fair to Charmaine, wasn't the issue Hyperemesis which can sometimes only last a few weeks, or in Virgin River terms 73 seasons...

Agree with the trucker guy finishing. If his wife is ill and they are struggling to afford her medication why isn't he working all hours instead of spending the day fishing, do any of them ever work a full day, I don't know how the clinic is ever fully staffed as they are all constantly telling each other to take the day off.

Mel and Jack were okay to start off with, but now Jack's moodiness and Mel's saintliness seem to be all the writers can manage and the balance is too skewed.

And yet I keep watching it 😂

Please
or

EternalPoinsettia · 16/08/2022 15:22

Remember though that Hope was originally the mayor of the town or something?! No explanation as to why that job ended, no new mayor! And how was Charmaine originally a high risk pregnancy and had to literally stay in bed whilst Mel looked after her at Doc's house, then suddenly was ok and out and about all glamorous dating and finding a husband?!
There's also a very odd dynamic in that there was the guy with the wife with lupus, too poor for medication, then later he and Doc enjoying a leisurely day fishing and her issues are never mentioned again. The people there seem to be simultaneously hard done by, but very time rich at the same time! I don't know why I watch the show really , Mel is just so annoyingly understanding and accommodating of everything. She's like a saint! But I can't stop 😂

Please
or

Nekomata · 16/08/2022 15:22

Yeah, I don't know where the clinic's debts suddenly appeared from. I mean, I totally get why the clinic would be in debt, but Doc has never seemed bothered about it before even though he's in his seventies.

Please
or

Boybandfacedfannyfart · 16/08/2022 15:01

Doc and Hope are clearly loaded. Hope doesn’t work and Doc sees three patients a day. 2 of whom don’t have insurance and are US rural poor.

I wish Paige and her annoying son would disappear so Preacher can get it on with the foxy martial arts woman.

Please
or

EternalPoinsettia · 16/08/2022 14:57

I've just finished season 4 and I equally love/hate it. Reading this thread is cracking me up- Jack's lack of facial expressions, the sister's wedding in front of people they don't know, the sheer unbelievability of Charmaine finding someone to marry whilst just pregnant with twins, don't get me started on the pregnancy time line. And why would Lizzie want to be Hope's carer?! Denny who turned up and just lives with Doc, spending his days hiking etc. Is he on holiday? Does no one there need to work for a living?!

Please
or

NowThatsWhatICall22 · 12/08/2022 23:04

CrapBucket · 12/08/2022 19:23

I love how terrible this show is. Watching one episode makes me feel like I've had a week off work. I think Charmaine is going to confess she had IVF but forgot to mention it.

Preacher does need to be a dad though, I will volunteer to have his babies.

IVF with Mel and Mark’s embryos? Maybe? Anything is possible in Virgin River.

Please
or

CrapBucket · 12/08/2022 19:23

I love how terrible this show is. Watching one episode makes me feel like I've had a week off work. I think Charmaine is going to confess she had IVF but forgot to mention it.

Preacher does need to be a dad though, I will volunteer to have his babies.

Please
or

AlexCabot · 12/08/2022 18:48

I've had the last two weeks off work and found Virgin River because I bloody love a Hallmark Christmas film and thought that it would be along those lines.

It makes no sense, has plot lines you could drive the bakery truck through and a timeline that makes Dr Who look linear but I am invested as hell now.

P.s Why is Jack stressing about paying for a house for him and Mel when she sold her house in L.A ($$$$) and probably got a big chunk of life insurance from Mark?
More importantly, why do I care?

Please
or

DeepfriedPizza · 12/08/2022 18:43

AlexCabot · 12/08/2022 17:57

Hadn't they been shagging for a couple of years?
Although given the length of time she's been pregnant it's perfectly possible!

It's quite difficult to follow if they were shagging for years or weeks as they feel the same length of time in Virgin River

Please
or

Nekomata · 12/08/2022 18:42

It's better not to think about any of it too much.
You just have to understand that Virgin River is a magical place where time has no meaning.

Please
or

tigger1001 · 12/08/2022 18:37

I've not long started watching this. It was recommended to me as I needed something lighthearted and cheesy as I had binged watched the handmaids tale.

The timeline in virgin river bothers me but I can't seem to switch it off 😂

And the actress who plays Charmaine looks so like the actress Jessica paré. I just can't help compare them!

Please
or

AlexCabot · 12/08/2022 17:57

DeepfriedPizza · 12/08/2022 17:41

I think Charmaine is further along than 5 months and she was pg before she met Jack. That's why she had to admit it, because she was in labour in the last episode.

Hadn't they been shagging for a couple of years?
Although given the length of time she's been pregnant it's perfectly possible!

Please
or

DeepfriedPizza · 12/08/2022 17:41

I think Charmaine is further along than 5 months and she was pg before she met Jack. That's why she had to admit it, because she was in labour in the last episode.

Please
or

35965a · 12/08/2022 17:23

I’m trying to think of what else could happen in the next season as so much has been covered! Killer bee attack, a flood, bears roving through Virgin River, Charmaine’s babies are actually triplets and Doc is the father, Mel is actually a psycho serial killer and killed her husband

Please
or

AlexCabot · 12/08/2022 17:19

BrieAndChilli · 11/08/2022 16:19

Has anyone mentioned hart of Dixie? I think it’s showing on all4 at the moment.

it literally has the grumpy doctor guy playing from virgin river playing a grumpy doctor guy!! New young pretty doctor come to the small town (which also has massive over the top town parents and celebrations) no drug gangs but does have an alligator and a group of mean girls.

Virgin River would be mightily improved with the addition of a roving, man eating alligator.

Any alligator related injuries would be all healed within a week, obviously.

Please
or

Mintchervilpurslane · 12/08/2022 15:26

AlexCabot · 12/08/2022 15:01

Oh! In the next episode Brady is shirtless with no sign of the stab wound he received like a week ago!

I need to stop. At least with Lily gone I'm not distracted by the fact that a poor, simple farm woman had lip fillers that kept appearing and disappearing.

🤣🤣🤣

I must confess I couldn’t remember which one of the knitting circle Lily was … must have fallen asleep during those bits …so I was quite relieved when she came back as a ghost so I could put a face to the name so to speak.

The fillers are rather distracting and also the way Hope constantly purses her lips… maybe they got a group discount?

Please
or

Mintchervilpurslane · 12/08/2022 15:21

CheeseCakeSunflowers · 29/07/2022 20:17

I'm starting to wonder if I will live long enough to see all these babies born.

Ha I am cackling at this thread. It’s just dreadful! 😁😁

What I find so funny is that at the beginning, Jack was billed as a pillar of the community someone whom everyone depended on, but during the series he hasn’t really done anything to warrant that description as he has been rather busy battling his drink addiction, his PTSD, his dispute with his brother, involvement with dodgy crims, his fathering of 3 dc all at once (or so we thought). He is good at saluting during a poignant moment though. .

Please
or

Eon · 12/08/2022 15:07

Oh! In the next episode Brady is shirtless with no sign of the stab wound he received like a week ago!

I need to stop. At least with Lily gone I'm not distracted by the fact that a poor, simple farm woman had lip fillers that kept appearing and disappearing.

😂😂😂😂

Please
or

Please
or

AlexCabot · 12/08/2022 14:11

I've just got to the renaissance fair. Why are half of them dressed in Elizabethan costume?
Aren't renaissance fairs more Middle Ages?

Why is this the hill I'm dying on instead of all the many other plot holes?

Please
or

TwoBlondes · 12/08/2022 12:56

BrieAndChilli · 11/08/2022 16:19

Has anyone mentioned hart of Dixie? I think it’s showing on all4 at the moment.

it literally has the grumpy doctor guy playing from virgin river playing a grumpy doctor guy!! New young pretty doctor come to the small town (which also has massive over the top town parents and celebrations) no drug gangs but does have an alligator and a group of mean girls.

Grumpy doctor was a gorgeous heartthrob in my mid teens 😳

Please
or

BeaLola · 11/08/2022 19:01

Boybandfacedfannyfart · 11/08/2022 10:42

Sweet Magnolias is magnificent! Granted, I can’t remember a solitary plot line… but it’s pure Netflix candy floss. Bless your heart.

@Popvan 😂

Love Sweet Magnolias and they drank a lot of cocktails - do we ever see anyone actually drink at JAcks ?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?