Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What shoes/bags are cool for Year 7?

ErickBroch · 27/06/2020 15:41

Hi! My brother starts year 7 in September. He is autistic and very nervos about starting for a multitude of reasons. I wanted to ask what shoes/rucksacks are popular right now for teens in senior school?

His school allows shoes like kickers and trainers that are leather look.

I haven't been to school in a very long time so have no idea what is cool right now - he just doesn't want to stand out!

Would love to hear your thoughts - thank you Flowers

OP's posts:
Please
or

ErickBroch · 27/06/2020 15:41

*Nervous!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bloodymary · 27/06/2020 15:53

For my 14 year old DD, and all of her friends (boys and girls) it is 'Nike Air Force 1' Black for school and white for weekends! We are SE, wether other places vary, I am afraid I don't know.

Please
or

UncleShady · 27/06/2020 16:10

Hype backpacks.

One idea is to wait a week after they've gone back and then see what everyone else is wearing.

Please
or

iwantavuvezela · 27/06/2020 16:12

Agree with @uncleshady - I told my DD to use an old one with the promise to get her the one she really wanted after a few weeks at school - that way she ended up with the one she wanted / correct size etc.
same with shoes .....

Please
or

PhantomErik · 27/06/2020 16:18

My dd is starting yr7 in Sept & is going to use her Vans rucksack to start with & either carry on or see what others use.

The school are very strict on shoes so plain black lace ups but basic Nikes for PE.

Please
or

reinacorriendo · 27/06/2020 16:22

My DD has a Fjallraven Kanken rucksack but has used a hype one, her school only allow a certain type of shoe and plain white trainers for PE and black football boots as well. Each school is different.

Obviously not very helpful as you’re looking for boy advice, plain nike? The boys school next to us have use school one so saves all the hassle

Please
or

QueenBlueberries · 27/06/2020 16:27

Hype is a bit done at our school. Vans are still popular, in plain colour. Something like this www.vans.co.uk/shop/en-gb/vans-gb/men-accessories-backpacks/old-skool-iii-backpack-vn0a3i6rkhz

Shoes - they can't have trainers at our schools but kickers are popular, so are doc martin shoes.

Please
or

004aga · 27/06/2020 16:28

My son has just left secondary and he always had a Nike or Adidas backpack. He just wore normal school shoes as his school don't allow trainers. For pe he had Nike trainers.

Please
or

SavoyCabbage · 27/06/2020 16:33

Hype is a massive no-no at our school. Same for Superdry.

Normally I’d say look at the high school children that already go there but you can’t really do that at the moment. A black Nike or Adidas one is probably the best bet. Or Vans.

Please
or

flamingochill · 27/06/2020 16:34

The safe choice of backpack for boys is Adidas or Nike at our school. My sons have both opted for black.

Kickers are popular but our school rules require leather shoes so no leather look vans or converse unfortunately

Please
or

flamingochill · 27/06/2020 16:36

Hype and Superdry were popular a few years ago now even upper primary seems to have stopped using Hype round here.

Please
or

flamingochill · 27/06/2020 16:38

For shoes you should be fine as long as you avoid Velcro and Clark's. I'd ask at a shoe shop like Office/Schuh/wherever what their most popular style for secondary is

Please
or

OneRingToRuleThemAll · 27/06/2020 16:44

DD and her friends, who are now going into year 8 are very into eco and sustainability so she won't entertain the idea of new bag and shoes even though her shoes are battered. The older looking the better in her eyes.

Please
or

Oblomov20 · 27/06/2020 16:48

Interesting. Ds1 is going to advise Ds2 what to get.

Please
or

GeorgiaWeLoveYou · 27/06/2020 16:49

I would second the black Air Forces and I would say a Nike/Adidas rucksack.

To be honest (and I know it's much easier said than done) and I know that your son will want to fit in, but it's confidence that will look good on him no matter what he wears.

Please
or

Beamur · 27/06/2020 16:53

DD (yr 8) says Vans. Plain colours.
She also has an Eastpack rucksack, but that's her choice and not necessarily popular.

Please
or

Hoggleludo · 27/06/2020 16:57

Kanken rucksacks in my dd school or hype

Please
or

2020isnotmyyear · 27/06/2020 19:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

reluctantbrit · 27/06/2020 22:36

Check for a local fb group who covers the area of your DS’s school. They will now the recent trends.

Please
or

Popfan · 27/06/2020 22:42

Definitely black nike or adidas rucksack

Please
or

Londonborncatty · 27/06/2020 22:45

Do a drive by and have a look at the bags they are carrying. Every school is different. Go for a plain one to start with. Hopefully the school are aware that your brother is nervous and perhaps may need a little extra help? Do you have a contact at the school. Could they help you with any of your questions?

Please
or

ChickensForTheHound · 27/06/2020 22:48

Air Force One black trainers.
Sporty (Nike/Adidas) rucksack here

Please
or

Passthecake30 · 27/06/2020 22:53

Nike/Adidas backpack, make sure you get one with a water bottle pouch at the side so a bottle of water doesn’t leak inside, and a small pocket for phone/door keys.

Black leather look Adidas trainers- all the kids wear them, however, they don’t last longer at all.

Please
or

LimeTreeGrove · 27/06/2020 22:58

Dd is in year 8 and when she was in year 7 i noticed lots of adidas backpacks but in year 8 Nike. Not everyone has that but it was the most popular.

Please
or

BostonCheers · 28/06/2020 14:40

Starting secondary school can be a difficult time but I would not let my D.C. bend or break the uniform rules. Uniform is something that I am strict with as it really sets the tone for school- it is a place of learning and turning up looking scruffy really instils a lazy mindset.

My D.C. haven't even asked to wear trainers for school as they know the answer would be no. I pick out a pair of smart black shoes for them every year and I will ask their opinion, but the final decision lies with me. I also expect them to wear their uniforms smartly, so keeping shoes polished, shirts tucked in, top button done up and tie tightly covering top button etc.

They also have their uniform checked in the mornings and when they come home and they will be in trouble if they come walking in with their blazers off or top buttons out!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?