Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Is this dress inappropriate for a wedding?

humanpotato · 25/06/2022 09:00

My boyfriend said he thinks this dress isn't appropriate for a wedding because it's red? This is new to me? The last two weddings we've been to I've wore red and he didn't say anything. So I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are is this appropriate?

I don't know what thread this belongs in!

Is this dress inappropriate for a wedding?
OP's posts:
Please
or

Gnusmas · 25/06/2022 09:02

I wouldn't wear that to a wedding because of the style rather than the colour. It's too revealing and eye catching so might take attention away from the bride.

Please
or

Piffle11 · 25/06/2022 09:03

I think the colour is the one thing you wouldn't have to worry about with this dress, OP ...

Please
or

KarlWrenbury · 25/06/2022 09:03

Piffle11 · 25/06/2022 09:03

I think the colour is the one thing you wouldn't have to worry about with this dress, OP ...

Lol. It’s a bit night out for a wedding

Please
or

daisypond · 25/06/2022 09:03

I wouldn’t wear that to a wedding.

Please
or

RandomQuest · 25/06/2022 09:04

Maybe he’s trying to be polite by saying the colour is the problem, it kind of looks like a flamenco fancy dress costume…

Please
or

Cornettoninja · 25/06/2022 09:05

The colour is fine, I’m not sure about the style. If the wedding is in a religious venue I wouldn’t reveal that much skin personally.

Please
or

spotcheck · 25/06/2022 09:06

Red is nice however that dress is not.

Well, it is nice but its giving off cruise ship lounge singer vibes.

Please
or

passwordnotsecure · 25/06/2022 09:06

I don't think that dress would be appropriate for a wedding in any colour. Very revealing, very detailed (may compete with bridesmaids). Have you bought it already?

Please
or

Notagain76 · 25/06/2022 09:06

What sort of wedding is it? I can’t see this dress fitting in at many weddings but only you know the attire

Please
or

Gnusmas · 25/06/2022 09:07

It's a bit tacky to be honest l. Tell us your budget and what kind of wedding it is, whether you're a day or evening guest and we'll find something appropriate for you.

Please
or

MrsBertBibby · 25/06/2022 09:07

What he means is, that dress is minging.

Please
or

Remaker · 25/06/2022 09:07

It’s a bit ‘much’ for a wedding and I’m not talking about the colour. I think your DP is trying to gently steer you here and I’d take his advice. Try something a bit less eye-catching.

Please
or

maddy68 · 25/06/2022 09:10

The dress is a chavy night out dress not a wedding. (Red is fine for a wedding however )

I think he was being polite

Please
or

shiningstar2 · 25/06/2022 09:11

If you have the figure for it is an attention grabbing dress so not really appropriate for a wedding. At a wedding it will make you look desperate to draw all attention away from the bride and onto you. Just my opinion but you did ask 😊

Please
or

EggRollsForever · 25/06/2022 09:11

It just has too much going on - reminds me of Austrian blinds in the 1980s.

Please
or

Gnusmas · 25/06/2022 09:13

Please
or

mooneagle · 25/06/2022 09:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

milkysmum · 25/06/2022 09:13

It's not the colour it's the style. I really don't think that's ok to wear to a wedding ( or anywhere really to be honest..) Sorry Op!

Please
or

Oneforposy7 · 25/06/2022 09:14

Yeah it's not to do with the colour OP. It's the style. It's very "look at me" which isn't really appropriate for a wedding.

Please
or

WimpoleHat · 25/06/2022 09:15

Is it solely a black tie/evening event? If not, I think you need something more suitable for wearing during the day. It’s the style rather than the colour that makes it “not wedding-y”.

Please
or

HollowTalk · 25/06/2022 09:16

Are you the groom's ex?

Please
or

mnahmnah · 25/06/2022 09:16

Well, all eyes would certainly be on you. Instead of the bride.

Please
or

Wheredoestheblackfluffcomefrom · 25/06/2022 09:20

Are you being paid to do entertainment?

Please
or

NightmareSlashDelightful · 25/06/2022 09:20

I actually really like that dress, both design and colour, but it’s 100% not wedding-wear. Red is fine for weddings, but it’s the style — it’s too dance floor. You could maybe change into it for the dancing/disco afterwards? My MIL does this — brings an outfit for the day do and eating, then changes after dinner into her dancing dress.

Please
or

humanpotato · 25/06/2022 09:25

Thanks for the responses 😂 I have ordered it, however I may keep it for the night time and wear something else for during the day.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?