My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Help me make my wellies warm enough for a weeks outdoor work in horrible weather?

10 replies

LittleWhingingWoman · 02/03/2022 10:37

I'm working in a forest for a week in March in Scotland in rain!

I have some jersey lined Aigle Giverny boots and also some regular hunters my mum has given me.
Do you think that I could get neoprene or felt/wool inserts and that would be good enough instead of buying actual neoprene lined boots as I'm on a budget!

I have freezing extremities, even my nose suffers!

OP posts:
happyjack12 · 02/03/2022 10:44

I buy lambswool or sheepskin liners for my wellies, toasty warm and they don't make the wellies too tight like wearing really thick socks would. Just wear thin but thermal socks with them.

IbizaToTheNorfolkBroads · 02/03/2022 10:50

Sheepskin inner soles are brilliant (actual sheepskin, not polyester/acrylic), but might make your boots too tight for good blood circulation, which will be counteractive.

Wool rich socks - again, actual wool not acrylic. Merino wool is thin but warm.

But you would be far better off getting some “fake” Muck boots - cheap neoprene wellies. They were about £40 in Mountain Warehouse recently.

SmolCat · 02/03/2022 10:54

You’ve given me flashbacks to being a teenager on a farm in the winter where we all wore plastic bags inside our wellies to keep our feet from freezing. It was surprisingly efficient! Nowadays I’d probably go for lambswool/sheepskin liners and good socks (...and pack two emergency plastic bags).

I’ve heard you can also put warming balm on your feet but I don’t know much about that and it sounds a bit damp and squelchy honestly.

wearingtheT · 02/03/2022 10:56

I'd also suggest foot warmers.

Littlemissprosecco · 02/03/2022 10:57

buy them slightly bigger than you need, with good fitting socks, the extra air will insulate well. If they’re tight fitting the cold earth literally touches your feet, horrid!!

Plexie · 02/03/2022 11:13

Are wellies suitable for the type of work you'll be doing? Might you need reinforced boots to protect your feet instead?

For wellies, definitely warm insoles to insulate your feet from contact with the cold ground. As PPs have said, the insoles will make the inside of the wellies smaller, so your existing wellies might become too tight.

I like socks that are loop lined on the inside - they have more cushioning and I think they're warmer. Will also absorb perspiration if you're doing strenuous activity. But again, they make your boots tighter.

ExConstance · 02/03/2022 11:18

I've got some pink fleece things like big socks that go in the wellies and turn over at the top. Very effective, cost about £5

LittleWhingingWoman · 03/03/2022 12:53

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

OP posts:
JesusMaryAndJosephAndTheWeeDon · 04/03/2022 00:15

It depends how much space you have in your boots.

Sheepskin insoles are good, foil ones are nearly as good but less bulky.

You need good socks, merino ski socks with a silk liner would be ideal, heat holders would be a cheaper alternative.

Keep your legs warm too it helps keep your feet warm

KiwiFruitChutney · 04/03/2022 06:47

Yep, you need some of those little instant foot warmers that heat up on contact with air. I wore some when on a long, freezing walk a couple of weeks ago and they made such a difference. I also suffer from cold extremities.

I think they’re pretty cheap - sure there are lots on Amazon.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.