My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Really warm gloves

19 replies

Hs2Issue · 27/02/2018 16:30

My rab gloves are really not keeping my hands warm in this terrible weather. I suffer from Reynaulds and my hands have been really painful coming in from the school run.

Can anyone recommend a really good pair of gloves? I was thinking of maybe sheepskin mittens but I desperately need something, price wise about £50-60 at most.

OP posts:
UnmitigatedBollocks · 27/02/2018 16:31

I’ve got a pair of Superdry mittens that keep my hands toasty.

NigelMolesworth · 27/02/2018 16:38

I have the same problem. This year I invested in lambs wool liner gloves with a pair of Sealskin windproof and waterproof gloves over the top. So far they have been ok - my fingers still get cold and sting but they don't start going white in the same way that they have in the past.

What I think has really helped though has been wearing a coat with warm cuffs so there isn't a gap between the coat and the gloves. Having warm wrists seems to be quite important for me.

Hs2Issue · 27/02/2018 20:15

Thanks for those i'll look them up. Just got in from running and my hands are horribly cold a new pair of running gloves is also needed I think.

OP posts:
duriandurian · 27/02/2018 20:16

I had a similar thread yesterday about heat reflective gloves and was directed to the Raynauds society website which sells silver thread gloves. Have ordered a couple of pairs.

duriandurian · 27/02/2018 20:17
CMOTDibbler · 27/02/2018 20:23

I have blissful down mittens which I can put heat packs into when its really cold. When its not mitten weather/practicality, then silk glove liners and wearing microfleece wrist warmers under fleece gloves makes a huge difference. In fact I generally keep my wrist warmers on all the time and they are lovely and you really notice the difference

GrannyGrissle · 27/02/2018 20:48

Silk liners and sheepskin mittens here!

GrannyGrissle · 27/02/2018 20:51

Or do as i used to do and microwave two baking potatoes and shove them in your pockets along with your hands Used to keep me warm on my walk home then i'd finish them off in the oven for mine and DHs dinner Grin

keeponkeepinon · 27/02/2018 22:45

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

guffaux · 28/02/2018 01:36

Grin arf @ granny

on long winter hikes i use silk inner gloves and sealskinz water/windproofs, but the silk liners have to be put on in a warm dry place and not taken off, (eg when the outer gloves are removed) or the warmth is lost

on less drastically cold/wet days i use thinsulate fleece gloves

when out on a run, thin woollen gloves (with tech friendly finger and thumb ends so you can fiddle with the timer/pedometer/fit bit/phone lol) are adequate

2madboys · 28/02/2018 13:23

I have a previous season's version of these: www.rohan.co.uk/womens-travel-and-outdoor-accessories-Microrib-Gloves?ocode=03984J07 which my husband bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago. They are far away the warmest and best gloves I've ever had.

goose1964 · 28/02/2018 21:45

I posted a link on a previous thread about warm gloves. Basically they are fleece inners and knitters outer.They keep my icy hands really warm

bingohandjob · 28/02/2018 22:26

Mittens are your best bet if it's warmth over style! I've got these for when it's freezing and my lovely leather gloves just don't cut it
www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/dare-2b-women-s-upreach-ii-mitt/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIldDDy9PJ2QIV15MbCh0iUQuUEAQYAiABEgLkVPD_BwE#fo_c=2257&fo_k=813c75d54575ad1de7be4ff725fd92c6&fo_s=gplauk

SlipperyLizard · 28/02/2018 23:18

I get terribly cold hands (even just down the chilled aisle, let alone in this weather). I bought some mittens at Xmas that are the warmest I’ve had (and I’ve had lots!). In this recent cold snap I’ve been using my zippo hand warmer (which is brilliant, but needs to be the small 6 hour one to fit) inside them, but until this week the gloves alone have been enough.

They’re the cosy bunny/reindeer ones from here: www.powder-uk.com/browse/Womens/d-Mittens-5/&currency_ratio=1

Nyancat · 28/02/2018 23:32

Sheepskin mittens. I got nordvek ones on eBay for about £15. They are the only things that keep my hands warm at the minute.

ZaZathecat · 01/03/2018 10:41

I have Reynaud's too. It has to be mittens. Skiing ones are great, and I guess Sheepskin though I've never had any. Currently I wear some suede mittens with a fleecy lining from TK Maxx and they are pretty good.
Fingered gloves just don't work for me, even ski gloves. My fingers need each other to stay warm!

Filiboom · 01/03/2018 13:13

I have these.

www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/hestra-heli-ski-female-3-finger-black-2018?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5t7UBRDaARIsAOreQtiQcUMf6ssdw2kKcYsA_T8WqOYK4zVSNNef7FjgoJCiakZqt92sTusaAoYeEALw_wcB

Not cheap, but mine are 8 years old and still going strong. I keep debating buying another pair just in case something happens to the ones I have....

I’ve never seen the split mitten thing before, which keeps hands warmer but still allows some flexibility. (Mine also have separate elasticated wrist bands that means you can take them off to do something and they’re still attached.) Completely love them and they’ve kept my hands warm even in northern Norway in winter (although I did add silk liners for that).

NotMeNoNo · 01/03/2018 18:43

Ski mittens from decathlon are the best we have. They are not especially padded but have some sort of magic lining which is super warm

OCSockOrphanage · 01/03/2018 20:14

Possum-merino fingerless gloves are wonderful until the temperature falls below -10. As long as I am walking, I have full use of my fingers and my hands are never cold. But, they are not hard wearing.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.