Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Help!

Leanne1191 · 16/05/2021 21:07

Hi, so I'm 30 and I've been smoking since last October, it went from have 1-3 cigarettes a day to now being 3-5 a day! Up until last October I want not a smoker! Ok maybe I had an occasional few pulls when I went out with the girls but that was it!

I know, why did I start? Well I started because of stress, I've had a lot going on the last 9 months and it's been bloody hard! Life has been testing me a lot, I found having a cig helped me de stress and gave me some me time especially being a mum to three boys and doing it on my own!

Now I don't even know why I do it? I do it out of habit and after I feel shit for it, it tastes vile, I smell vile and I know the health risks too.

I just need some advice on how to quit? I don't want to smoke no more and I need to stop NOW.

OP's posts:
Please
or

jelly79 · 16/05/2021 21:23

Allan care - easy way to quit smoking!! It worked for me :)

Please
or

jelly79 · 16/05/2021 21:23

Allan carr

Please
or

Leanne1191 · 17/05/2021 16:07

@jelly79

Allan care - easy way to quit smoking!! It worked for me :)

Really? See I'm a bit wary of them sort of books because of them being celebrities and just wanting to make money of them. Confused
OP's posts:
Please
or

DamnShesaSexyChick · 17/05/2021 16:08

Different Allen Carr

Please
or

FlibbertyGiblets · 17/05/2021 16:12

You need the right Allen Carr. Not the celeb Alan Carr.

Please
or

FoofOfTheWalkingDead · 17/05/2021 16:20

Well done you, OP. The first step is wanting to quit. It might take you a few tries but don't give up. I started when I was 13 (god, if i could just go back and whack my young self across the head) and stopped in my early 30s. I tried 3 times to quit and it wasn't until the fourth time that it stuck. When i was finally ready this is what worked for me:

1. I read Allen Carr, it really is an eye-opener. Get the short book, not the one with extra chapters. It's a simple premise. You can probably find loads second hand on World of Books of Book Depository.
  2. I went to the local NHS stop smoking clinic and got prescribed Zyban and patches.
  3. The stop-smoking service offered counselling which were just short sessions to check in and be accountable. Very helpful.
  4. I gave myself permission to eat chocolate when i had a craving.
  5. I kept my cigarettes on me at all times. Any time I had a craving I would tell myself 'I'm ok just now, I'll have one later'. That would deal with the immediate craving. I did that for 3 months and it got easier every time. This was helpful so I never felt deprived, the choice was always mine, IYSWIM.

Don't beat yourself up about smoking in the first place. it is highly addictive and life has been extra shit for the last year. Try your best, if you relapse, just try again another time.

Good Luck!!!
Please
or

FoofOfTheWalkingDead · 17/05/2021 16:22

World of Books OR Book Depository

Please
or

Mylittlepony374 · 17/05/2021 16:24

I quit by imagining myself dying with every puff. Literally looked at pictures (printed from Internet) of gruesome throat cancers every time I had a smoke. I'm now 5 years without and really don't think I'll ever smoke again.
I tried Alan Carr, started smoking again a few months later. Tried medication (think it was called Champix) which didn't work. I think the secret is you really have to want to. I didn't want to the first few times, wss kind of half heartedly in it.

Please
or

itsureis · 18/05/2021 23:48

I listen to the Allen Carr's Easyway to stop
Smoking on Spotify via my headphones ...
It's 6 hrs long so pop it on whilst you're doing your jobs.
Listen to it again, and again, and again and again and then decide to quit.

Good luck x

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.