Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Advice/support to stop smoking

actionpacked · 21/08/2019 15:05

Hi, I really want to stop smoking so thought I’d post on here for support.

I’ve been a smoker for around 25 years, currently smoke about 20 a day but has previously been as many as 40 Blush

I’ve tried e-cigarettes and vaping in the past but haven’t managed to completely quit. This time I want to try with the inhalators and maybe gum. I’ve had success with these previously (admittedly only 2 weeks before I smoked ‘just one’ proper cigarette again, which of course led me rapidly back to 20 a day)

The main reasons I would like to quit are: money and the smell. I spend lots of time washing myself and my clothes everyday So I can pretend that I’m a non smoker Blush Of course I know that others know that I smoke and they can smell it regardless of how many times I wash so I’m only fooling myself! The constant washing is probably more time consuming and more effort than giving up will be!

I haven’t chosen my quit date yet but sometime within the next 2 weeks would be ideal. I love smoking so don’t know whether I should gradually cut down over the next few days in preparation or just pick a date and go for it.

I think I’m going to find this really difficult as most people I know smoke (some are not so secret smokers like myself Grin but I know that smell! Grin )

So, any tips on how to prepare? What can I replace it with? Exercise? Sweets? Cleaning? Am just thinking of things to do that I can’t smoke whilst doing.

Sorry for the jumbled and long post.

OP's posts:
Please
or

JellyBoat · 07/09/2019 13:27

Hi, I'm trying to quit too. Absolutely disgusted with it today so it feels like a good time to just stop.

I've smoked for 23 years, and for about 10 of those it was at least 30 a day. I gave up for about 5 years when I had my kids but it's completely out of control again. And I hide it from the kids but I can't keep that up forever. So fed up with it and myself. I'm going to stop today. Cutting down just doesn't work for me.

Anyway, I'm with you if you need some moral support! Have you set a quit day?

Please
or

actionpacked · 07/09/2019 20:06

Hi Jelly Moral support is just what I need thank you! I haven’t even set a proper quit date Blush I’m just at the stage now where every cigarette I’m trying to think ‘do I really want/need this?’ before I light it.

How are you getting on? Have you set an official quit date? Are you using anything or going to go cold turkey?

OP's posts:
Please
or

SciFiGirl · 17/09/2019 22:25

Hey I just created a thread for stoptober. Feel free to join/post. We can all post daily to support/encourage each other x

Please
or

actionpacked · 03/12/2019 20:37

I’m currently on day 2 of not smoking and am reading through some threads to spur me on. Whilst reading the op I thought ‘yep, that sounds like me!’ looked and it is me Grin Wow, it took me an awful long time to set me quit date!

So, finally decided that enough was enough and booked into the smoking clinic 3 weeks ago. Was prescribed patches, I’ve used them every day since then but think I thought I’d put a patch on and magically become a non smoker Blush. Week 2 my co2 Level was still sky high despite me cutting down - still used patches every day. Week 3 Downloaded Allen Carr and listen to it each night in bed, bought cigarettes different brand to mine (these ones are far too strong and I can’t even stand by someone else smoking them!) also bought an inhalator. Fast forward to right now, still using patches, using inhalator for the times that I don’t know what to do with my hands, horrible cigarettes are still unopened in my bag (they were bought as a safety net, I was struggling to see any cig as my ‘last one’) and after this post I’ll be switching in my audiobook. As I said, 2 days so far and I feel quite good about it! I’m not sure which part is working - the audiobook, the knowing I have cigs if I really want/need one, the patches or the inhalator but right now something is working and I’m so pleased! Maybe this time I’ll crack it?! I’ll be free to say I’m not a smoker!

OP's posts:
Please
or

LadyFuchsiaGroan · 03/01/2020 09:32

How did it go action? I have just booked in to a stop smoking support service and downloaded Allen Carr's book I feel this is the time I am going to quit!

Please
or

Allthegoodnamesweretakenalread · 03/01/2020 09:45

Hope your quit attempt is going well!
I found Free yourself from Smoking byKristina Ivings to be really helpful for my final attempt at quitting. I found Allan Carr to be a bit too smug and the writing style really irritating rather than helpful. There are so many quit smoking books in so many styles so I think it is just a case of find the one that works for you;
The early weeks of quitting can be really hard. I remember thinkingI'd never stop obsessingover the cigs! It really does get easier the longer you stick with it. I quit 8 years ago now and it was one of the best things I ever did. Good luck!

Please
or

actionpacked · 03/01/2020 13:18

I’m passed the 1 month mark! I’m using patches and an inhalator and have listened to the Allen Carr book twice already (well, one and a bit times because I put it on when I was wobbling on Christmas Eve but fell asleep!) I’ve had a few times over Christmas and New Year where I’ve really, really wanted a cigarette (it’s never been NEEDED always WANTED when around other smokers or when drinking) but I’ve managed not to.

I’d definitely say going to the smoking clinic, being accountable each week and having enough nicotine replacement has been the biggest help for me. I’m still thinking about cigarettes almost constantly but I know if I have just one then that’ll be it, I’ll be a smoker again. Hopefully over time I’ll just forget that I ever smoked Grin

I hope your session at the clinic goes well, when is it? I don’t want to sound like one of those smug ex-smokers that say “oh, if you want to stop, just stop!” (the amount of times I’ve heard that! Like it’s that easy!) but it hasn’t been as bad as I thought it’d be, haven’t really been grumpy or coughing, few vivid dreams but they seem to be less frequent now. I’ve tried quitting before but I think this is THE time this time (fingers crossed! Grin )

OP's posts:
Please
or

LadyFuchsiaGroan · 03/01/2020 19:43

Oh that's amazing to hear Action- I'm so glad to hear that for you. How do you find the patches? I have no clue about NRT or how to choose but I'm guessing that will be discussed at smoking clinic?

I have no clue yet waiting to hear back, I'm guessing this time of year they are inundated with people wanting to quit smoking!

You must be chuffed to get past the 1 month mark especially over Christmas and New year as well. Your reply has made me feel even more positive in stopping now Grin

Please
or

actionpacked · 03/01/2020 21:52

Thank you! I’m so pleased with myself Blush

Yes, the nurse in the clinic will discuss everything available. I didn’t want to take Champix so went for patches - they seem to be suiting me apart from I can’t wear it for 24 hrs as it makes my skin itch a bit if I leave it on overnight. I’d rather itchy skin than smoking though Grin other than that they’re great. I’m on step 1 still but think I go down to step 2 at 6 weeks (lower nicotine I think).

Oooo I didn’t think about the New Year influx at the clinic - my next appointment is on Monday. Hopefully, you’ll get your appointment soon. Definitely give the Allen Carr book a read/listen while you’re waiting for an appointment. If you don’t like it all you’ve lost is a few hours of time, if you like it you get a bit of a start ahead of your appointment.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.