Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

DM, 81, 20-a-day habit for 60 years quit smoking after 2 months vaping!

Tansie · 09/09/2014 10:14

I am frankly amazed. DB put mum onto vaping about 2 months ago as he's doing it. She was a sceptic at first but then, and with a false start (wasn't using the e-cig quite right) which we all spotted as she was a reet cah for a couple of days (we suggested she needed to restart proper fags if that's what she was going to be like!) she vaped for 2 months or so- then stopped altogether....!

Only been off nicotine for 10 days, now, but still! Both her previous attempts, 20-30 years ago ended when she started to gain weight; I am wondering if this may happen again? I am actually rather surprised that someone of 81, in pretty good health, no meds, no medical conditions, has chosen to give up smoking as she obvioulsy doesn't carry the gene/s that convert smoke into cancer, as it were.

So there you go!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Allergictoironing · 09/09/2014 11:06

That's a fantastic story Tansie!

The weight gain is usually because people snack to replace the hand to mouth habit side of smoking (though there's a small element of nicotine being an appetite suppressant). Finding something to do with the hands e.g. knitting or other crafts, can help with this. Worst comes to the worst, she can always vape with 0% nicotine Grin

Please
or

Tansie · 09/09/2014 20:42

I didn't know that was available! Thanks! If mum is serious, and I of course will support her in whatever she chooses to do, it could be useful knowing that she can still 'do the hand thing' with no nicotine.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Allergictoironing · 09/09/2014 21:14

Plenty of 0% nicotine e-liquids about you'll be glad to hear, including some truly lovely flavours that can help if you get the munchies Smile.

Please
or

Tansie · 09/09/2014 21:56

Thanks. I will inform her chief advisor, my DB!

She, maybe naturally, as a non-smoker myself- won't listen to me!

OP's posts:
Please
or

PolterGoose · 09/09/2014 21:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.