Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Some advice please Vaper's

CarbeDiem · 18/05/2014 12:38

I'm seriously thinking about quitting, wanted to for ages and really 'should' as I've got asthma and I'm trying to conceive.
I want to use an Ecig or at least have one for back up but Dh is paranoid that they'll poison me Hmm :)
My reasoning is that maybe they will but probably much less than normal cigs already do.
He did buy one in Europe a while back but read somewhere that the liquid (A TRENDY one from china) is toxic so he threw it away.

Sorry for rambling -
My questions are - Have they been tested properly?, is there anything I can read that uses science not just opinions? (dh has medical background so basically opinions mean shit to him unless somethings proven twat )

Where's the best/safest place to buy one in the UK?

Thank you.

OP's posts:
Please
or

PlentyOfPubeGardens · 18/05/2014 18:32

Hi Carbe, this, from the Royal College of Physicians, should reassure you both.

If you want a longer read, this is good, or if you want a proper sciency long read, I recommend this.

If you are complete science junkies, there's a site here that is dedicated to documenting every single study on ecigs and vaping - as you will see, there are quite a few!

The liquid contains four ingredients - Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerine, Food Flavourings and Nicotine. While there is as yet no long term data for what happens if you inhale these as a mixture for several decades (and there never will be unless vaping is allowed to continue), all the individual ingredients have been around for a long time and are considered safe.

Anything on sale in the UK should be fine, contrary to popular belief, they are regulated, just not as medicines. I don't know of any 'trendy' liquids from China but the popular ones - Hangsen and Dekang - are among the most regularly tested liquids on the market, simply because they are so popular. Probably wise to avoid car boot sales and market stalls - more because of the quality of the batteries and chargers than the liquids.

The safest ecig is the one that keeps you off the fags - those things are really fucking dangerous!

Please
or

PlentyOfPubeGardens · 18/05/2014 18:44

You'll get loads of suggestions for kit, here is mine -

two of these - get two so you have two batteries.

Get a few different flavours from here Most 15-20 a day smokers do OK on 18mg (1.8%) strength, you can adjust up or down from there as necessary.

Please
or

CarbeDiem · 18/05/2014 19:53

Thanks for the replies and links - very much appreciated.
Will have a good read later.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.