Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

vapours tongue

Lora1982 · 25/04/2014 22:36

Ive seen this mentioned a few times what exactly are you all on about? :-D its been 10 days I dont have a particularly dry mouth or anything, what is it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Raia · 25/04/2014 23:25

I had this for about ten days, it was awful! My sense of taste/smell went very odd: some things I couldn't smell or taste at all including my vaporiser. I think I was really dehydrated and possibly my senses were sorting themselves out after the shock of giving up smoking. Now I'm drinking a lot of water and I can taste my juices again. I think it's a fairly common phenomenon among newbie vapers, nothing to worry about as long as you up your water intake to combat the dehydration.

Please
or

Lora1982 · 26/04/2014 00:42

I wonder why it dehydrates you then considering the water vapour.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Allergictoironing · 26/04/2014 06:26

It isn't actually water vapour Lora, it's glycol vapour (propylene and/or vegetable). These are safe products used in foods and inhalers like asthma ones.

I think "Vaper's Tongue" has a combination of causes. The PG/VG may have some effect on some people, I know that asthma inhalers can sometimes give a dry mouth. As pure speculation on my part, with nothing to back it up, I'm thinking that maybe the delivery method of the nicotine itself - in vapour droplets rather than in smoke - may cause vaper's tongue? A possible third factor is that you're starting to de-tox, and the body likes to have plenty of water so it can flush all the toxins out - that's why you should always drink a lot after a massage for example.

But mainly I think it's the body adjusting to not having poisons inhaled all the time, not having taste buds murdered, not having to ignore the ashy stink you lived in before. Takes some people longer than others to adjust. I never noticed drinking more, then again I drink more liquids than anyone I know.

Please
or

PlentyOfPubeGardens · 26/04/2014 20:26

As I understand it (never having experienced it myself) vaper's tongue is when everything you vape just tastes a bit off. I think you're right Allergic that there are a variety of causes.

• Glycerine - especially PG - is hygroscopic, which means it attracts water. This is why it can cause a dry mouth.

• I think sometimes it's possible to just overstimulate your sense of taste. Lots of people recommend brushing your teeth or vaping a strong menthol to kind of 'reset' your taste buds.

• There was some interesting stuff on one of the long vapers threads. Some people found that lowering the nicotine strength cured it, so it might just be your body telling you the nic's too high.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.