Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Vaping

I23sarah · 24/04/2014 22:31

Hello I've been off cigarettes for a week since I bought an electronic one, how long have u all been on electronic cigs, and where is the best place to buy them

OP's posts:
Please
or

magimedi · 24/04/2014 22:34

Well done Sarah.

I was a 20 a day rollie person for nearly 40 years & have been of fthe fags for 19 months!

The best place to start is a local vape shop - they will welcome you with open arms, give you lots of advice & almost certainly let you try a few flavours.

Please
or

Lora1982 · 25/04/2014 00:52

Hello. Me and dp have been on the fake fags for 9 days 7if we count last thursdays blip we managed it for a while about two years ago but then circumstances changed. But now its the right time to try again.

A few people I work with have been diagnosed with cancer, one has died and also my aunty has been diagnosed too its finally hit me that although you don't need to smoke to get it, it REALLY doesn't help. The sick pit feeling I get thinking about what my friends and family have been dealing with is spurring me on. Also love the lack of tobacco stained fingers from the 20+ rollies!!

Im not fussy about where I buy aslong as it's cheap. I like the customer service ive had from liberty flights and thats where ive bought most from. But ive branched out this past week and tried wicked eliquid, ebay, amazon and a company linked on the nest of vapours thats closing down.

Are you still getting fag cravings? I do ive had to stamp them out with the fake fag and those nicorette mini mints... im on 24mg liquid so im sure thats plenty but I still want a fag every now and then :(

I was always under the illusion that if I had 'emergency tobacco' in the house I could quit I clearly couldn't so after we had the last of the pouches we didn't get any more and I seriously think thats helped us get to day 9 7

Please
or

Allergictoironing · 25/04/2014 07:30

Lora it's been well over 10 weeks for me fag free and I still get the odd craving for a cigarette. And for nearly 2 months before my last ever stinky I was on 2 cigarettes a day that I just couldn't lose.

There's 2 reasons for this. Firstly some of the by-products of the smoke itself (not nicotine) can be mildly addictive to some people and it could be that your body is craving. But the biggest reason is purely psychological - fags were my go-to comfort thing when stressed so that's what my mind tells me to do. The habit is as hard or with some people even harder to break than the nicotine addiction.

That's why e-cigs are so successful compared to other nicotine replacement therapies - you get the hand to mouth action and the feel of "smoke" in your mouth, and the throat hit we are all used to. You still have the habit side of smoking, and once you get acclimatised to the slightly different technique involved it's very similar indeed.

Please
or

Kleptronic · 25/04/2014 07:35

It's day 3 for me without stinkies, really hope I can keep going! I'm craving them, and grumpy, despite my vape stick. Although maybe I'm just naturally grumpy, bitchy resting face and all that Grin

Please
or

Allergictoironing · 25/04/2014 07:56

One thing that might help is if you are trying to vape in a smoking type pattern i.e. 6-8 minutes of vaping then nothing for a while, try to move to a more spread out pattern. And don't try to limit yourself how much you vape.

Loads of people become worried they are vaping vast amounts and getting much more nicotine than from stinkies when they start, but the absorption of nicotine is quite different with vaping - not such an instant "hit" and less is absorbed. I find I vape much more frequently than I used to light up a cigarette, but then I only take a few drags each time.

Please
or

Kleptronic · 25/04/2014 09:08

Thanks Allergic, that's reassuring, I'm powering through the ejuice!

Please
or

StampedLetter · 25/04/2014 09:15

Can someone link to what they use please. And how do you know if the e liquid is compatible? How do you put the liquid in?

Please
or

StampedLetter · 25/04/2014 09:37

Also what is the difference to a shiksa stick? And has anyone swapped from nicotine to non nicotine and still vape?

Please
or

Allergictoironing · 25/04/2014 09:50

Morning Stamped. E-liquid is e-liquid, and should be able to be used in any clearo. The only thing to be careful with is that some liquids are what is known as "tank crackers", i.e. they have a tendency to make polycarbonate tanks crack. These are usually spicy type flavours e.g. cinnamon, and for some reason certain makes of pineapple.

Shisha sticks are actually the same thing, but the term tends to be used for non-nicotine vaping. Many people reduce the nicotine content of their liquids over time and yes some people do continue to vape even when they are down to 0% - as I said above, with some people the habit is harder to break than the actual nicotine addiction!

Please
or

Cantabile · 25/04/2014 10:17

Sarah, well done!

I was a smoking over 40 a day, and started vaping in October. In two days I realised I was only smoking 15 a day and I hadn't even tried, let alone noticed! Now I'm down to 5 or 6 a day.

I stopped using baccy flavours quickly and vape principally butterscotch or gingerbread at the moment, though I have about a million Wink flavours to choose from. Going through them atm, so will be on the swap thread soon!

I get my kit from anywhere really, mainly places linked to here. I currently have about 6 straightforward batteries, 2 are VV; also recently got an MVP, but I'm only just getting the hang of it - it's a bit heavy for me.

Please
or

StampedLetter · 25/04/2014 10:25

Thanks!

Please
or

Raia · 25/04/2014 11:03

Well done Sarah! Wine

I was a 20 rollies a day smoker for 30+ years but haven't smoked now since 19th March. I tried a friend's vaporiser and was immediately sold on it because of the throat hit - for some reason I'd always assumed vaping would be like inhaling air. Anyway I duel fuelled for 24 hours and then thought "let's just see what happens if I cut out the fags" and I haven't had one since.

I got a kanger evod starter kit online to begin with and now I'm using an MVP (which I love), but still use the little ones when I'm out and about. Sometimes I miss smoking, but the moment soon passes. I love not reeking of smoke, no stains on my fingers and - tmi alert - WHITE BOGEYS! Quite the unexpected boon Grin

Did have a bad case of vaper's tongue for a week or two but now I'm drinking a lot of water it seems to have settled down. Really excited about being a non smoker for the first time in my adult life. Telling the GP was a sweet moment!

Please
or

Raia · 25/04/2014 11:05

Gah, dual not duel.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.