My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Fess up: what fibs do you tell your children? - £200 voucher to be won.

185 replies

EllieSmumsnet · 20/11/2023 10:03

What fibs do you tell your children to make parenting a little bit easier? From saying carrots help you see in the dark, to pretending the ice cream van has run out when the music plays – three-quarters of parents admit they tell little white lies to their children. 

But with criminals becoming increasingly sophisticated, it’s more difficult to spot when someone’s telling you a big lie. In the run up to Christmas, fraudsters will try to trick you with “too good to be true” deals on products that never materialise. One in four parents have been tricked by a purchase scam, so don’t get caught out this festive season!

• Share your family fibs in the thread below to be entered into a prize draw.
  • One lucky winner will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice.

Here is what the Take Five to Stop Fraud campaign has to say:

“Stay alert to criminals targeting you with purchase scams. Only 26% of parents always research a new retailer before making a purchase, but doing your homework this Christmas season could help protect you from scammers.

Use secure payment methods recommended by reputable retailers and be wary of bank transfers. Pay by credit card for purchases over £100 if you can.

Shop savvy in the lead up to Christmas, find out more about protecting yourself from purchase scams at: www.takefive-stopfraud.org.uk

Take Five - To Stop Fraud | To Stop Fraud

Take Five offers straight-forward and impartial advice to help everyone in the UK protect themselves against financial fraud.

https://www.takefive-stopfraud.org.uk/

OP posts:
pushchairprincess · 20/11/2023 10:18

Brussels sprouts are baby cabbages.

PuttingDownRoots · 20/11/2023 10:19

When mine were younger I told them Santa only came to tidy bedrooms.

AnnieKayTee · 20/11/2023 10:24

That the cows personally delivered the milk in the mornings for breakfast and they hadn't arrived yet so go back to sleep for a little while longer 🤣 she was very young, it didn't work for long!

Dizzywizz · 20/11/2023 14:38

That the elves are watching…

jacqui5366 · 20/11/2023 15:01

The man on the moon is watching over you when you sleep.

decoratingwithmessykids · 20/11/2023 15:04

"That playground is only open to kids who go to the school around the corner today."

"They only deliver one packet of biscuits per week so we have to make it last."

"That toy shop is only open for children on their birthday."

Montydoo · 20/11/2023 15:06

Eating your crusts makes your hair curly. 😅

TealTeaTowel · 20/11/2023 15:14

I actually can’t lie to my children (I know I sound like a party pooper! But I don’t lie about ‘cute things’ like Santa/tooth fairy so don’t about real life stuff) but I have been known to change the clocks and put them forward an hour and then said oh look it’s bedtime as the clock say 6:30 😳

technically not lying as the clock does read that, but when I’m at the end of my tether I find it doesn’t affect my conscience 😂

lovemyflipflops · 20/11/2023 15:38

If you wee in a swimming pool - the water around them turns purple so they know it's you (they got out every time for a wee)

TealTeaTowel · 20/11/2023 15:40

@lovemyflipflops my parents told me this! So I deliberately wee’d in the pool to see if it was true 😂

Gingerkittykat · 20/11/2023 15:43

Mum, can we go to the park?

Nope, sorry the park is closed today.

lovemyflipflops · 20/11/2023 16:41

TealTeaTowel · 20/11/2023 15:40

@lovemyflipflops my parents told me this! So I deliberately wee’d in the pool to see if it was true 😂

😆

JulesJules · 20/11/2023 16:58

That Polar Bears are from Poland (we kept this going for several years)

The Tooth Fairy is a)real and b) sometimes too busy to come the same night (if we didn't have a £1 or £2 coin)

DinkyDaffodil · 20/11/2023 16:58

Grandad is now a star in the sky - and always looking down on us, but cannot ever come back - so part lie, part true 😪

LimeCheesecake · 20/11/2023 17:02

“Well you can try my snack if you’d like, but it is spicy.” (It’s never spicy)

PurpleBugz · 20/11/2023 17:24

That I'm too poor to buy that toy

JacCharlton · 21/11/2023 10:16

If you eat your bogies they will make you sick. 😬

Danikm151 · 21/11/2023 10:20

That his immunisations were the nurse giving him super powers! He’s 3 and it worked a treat.
Even thanked her afterwards!

A regular one is that the snack cupboard is on a timer and only opens after dinner is finished 😂

ButterOllocks · 21/11/2023 11:57

On a long journey - yes we are nearly there (even though we are an hour away) keeps them from asking every 5 minutes.

Summerscomin · 21/11/2023 12:06

I don't make a habit of fibbing but have definitely moved the clock on by 30 mins to speed up bedtime.
Before DC liked cucumber, I'd say that's what I was eating (was usually a biscuit 😂) and have said the "too spicy" line once or twice too.

OnaKitchenRoll · 21/11/2023 12:30

The opening hours of places I don't want to go to are incredibly short :)

OnaKitchenRoll · 21/11/2023 12:31

Another one- my car has a special sensor which means it won't start until all children's seat belts are fastened.

voyager50 · 21/11/2023 17:17

When he was little I was often say that I didn't have my purse with me whenever he wanted to buy a comic or sweets when I really didn't want to spend money on them!

DiscoDragon · 21/11/2023 17:24

That the Ben & Jerry's I'm eating is mushroom flavour.

evtheria · 21/11/2023 17:26

'You know I don't do Father Christmas.'

And I don't. It's my DP who gets into all of that stuff like leaving out mince pies or writing wishlists etc.
But it is me secretly filling up his stocking with all the usually-forbidden treats (a whole tin of Turkish delight! To be eaten in bed!) and not admitting to doing it, so he thinks it must actually really be Santa. A lie hidden in a truth. I can't think of any other white lies I tell him.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.