Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

Social communication disorder

raymondanddebra · 01/11/2021 15:40

My child who's 3.5 apparently has this according to the Paedtrician report and I think I agree as he copies words a lot but when he wants something he takes me to it rather than ask. Even though I suspect he can ask but he won't cos of this disorder

So my question here is does this get better with age or therapies or is he doomed to never speak socially?

OP's posts:
Please
or

121314mum · 22/05/2022 22:02

Hi @raymondanddebra i wondered if you has any update as i am
in the exact same position you were in Nov

Please
or

raymondanddebra · 01/11/2021 16:37

Yes he's been having speech therapy for a year

OP's posts:
Please
or

incornerreading · 01/11/2021 16:17

It’s hard to say as no one child is the same as another. My impression is that it does tend to get better with the right support and therapies. It won’t change who he fundamentally is but can help give him the right tools and help him feel more comfortable in communicating and maybe address some of the barriers he faces. No magic cure but good support improving things and lessening any frustration (both on his part and yours).
I have no personal experience of this but I know that friends whose kids have similar problems have seen improvements. Is your child being referred on to a speech and language therapist or anything?

Please
or

raymondanddebra · 01/11/2021 16:07

?

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.