Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shineyshoes10 · 12/02/2016 14:44

OP's posts:
Please
or

Shineyshoes10 · 13/02/2016 21:30

Please
or

Ineedmorepatience · 14/02/2016 10:24

Good luck with camhs I hope they are helpful!

Dont take your hat off to me! For me home ed is the easy option, fighting to keep Dd3 in school nearly broke me!

Please
or

GruntledOne · 14/02/2016 10:30

I know a mum on here who covered the whole of the primary plant curriculum in one day at Kew gardens with her son!

But the point is that that isn't going to happen with one hour a day's tuition, is it, Ineed? And there is more to covering the curriculum than you can do in one day, otherwise the information learnt is never going to be embedded.

Absolutely for some children a mainstream school environment doesn't work, but for some they are going to go back into that or a special school and, as OP says, they need not to lose the habit of formal teaching and learning.

I don't think this has to be an either/or. OP's child is entitled by law to more than five hours a week, it cannot be assumed that the whole primary school curriculum including proper SEN support such as therapies is going to happen within that period, I can't see any reason not to push for as much tuition as he can cope with.

Please
or

Shineyshoes10 · 14/02/2016 11:52

Please
or

AgnesDiPesto · 15/02/2016 17:53

I would challenge 5 hours on the basis of CAMHS advice - guidance linked to above is clear its a collective decision not a lowest number trumps all. Ask for a meeting with paed and camhs to sort out their differences. You could for e.g. suggest a trial of increasing hours gradually and get paed / camhs to sign up to monitoring the impact. (suspect paed won't want to get involved in lots of meetings and on going monitoring) Ask for evidence the LA has sent the camhs advice on 15 hours to paediatrician or that the two have spoken about it.
Also apply for your child to have a social care assessment and you to have a carers assessment - contact a family have leaflets explaining process - that way you could access some respite that way.
the 5 hours should have started after 15 days

Please
or

Shineyshoes10 · 15/02/2016 19:35

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.