My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Secondary education

Waiting lists for independent secondary schools London

30 replies

Qmargaret · 26/02/2024 19:23

Hi all,
DD is on the waiting list for a secondary school we really would like to get a place in (independent). Anyone have experience of being on waiting lists and what's the likelihood of anytime happening at all? Thanks! Very despondent at the moment 😫

OP posts:
Report
LIZS · 26/02/2024 19:34

Might move after Friday but chances are they gave more offers than places in anticipation of state offers and duplicate applications to independents. It may move again after Easter.

Report
HydePark13 · 26/02/2024 21:02

A friend’s DD received an offer today. I don’t want to get specific but it was a girls consortium school. Hang in there!

Report
mummyquestion · 26/02/2024 21:36

We’re on a WL too, anyone had any offers yet? We’re being told earliest movements on Friday but more likely after the 5th March deadline.

Report
Knit1Purl · 26/02/2024 21:45

With state school allocation being this Friday, I expect that by early next week there will be some movement due to children getting places at sought after state schools and those offers being accepted. Of course if like last year some people hang onto multiple offers as 'Prizes', then wait list people will be forced to wait longer.

Report
QGMum · 26/02/2024 23:24

Our WL experience was that they moved the day before acceptances were due. We had two wait list places and they both turned into offers the day before the acceptance deadline.

Report
ItsMeHi48 · 27/02/2024 00:21

We are keeping fingers crossed that our DD wait list place converts to an offer but keep being told by friends whose DC are at prep schools to “get your head teacher on the phone to the school”. My DD is at a state primary and I’m not convinced our head will pick up the phone - although I haven’t asked and can/will do. Are we at a disadvantage with nobody fighting our DD’s corner but me or…?

Report
Changedjustfoethis06 · 27/02/2024 08:26

No you’re not at a disadvantage. But i would contact the school yourself and let them know that it’s your dd’s number one choice, that you’re very keen and that, if you were offered from the waitlist, you would definitely take the place. It won’t hurt and essentially that’s all the head teachers are doing anyway. The schools know that primary state school heads are less inclined to phone the school.

Report
ItsMeHi48 · 27/02/2024 08:29

@Changedjustfoethis06 thank you - yes I’ve been in touch with the wait list school a number of times to stress it’s our first choice, favourite school, we’ll accept straight away if offered etc. so 🤞🤞

Report
Qmargaret · 27/02/2024 08:47

Yes I know what you mean. I did contact them once but was a bit cautious about coming a pain in the neck so left it at the once. Maybe I'll contact them just one more time 😒

OP posts:
Report
ItsMeHi48 · 27/02/2024 09:22

@Qmargaret yes I hear you. Some people telling me to keep contacting them to be politely persistent but at the same time I don’t want to be a nuisance! I’ve emailed 3 times since the offer day to reiterate we remain 100% interested but when I tried to phone admissions it just went to voicemail. I don’t know whether I’m doing enough or not enough or whether in the end it makes no difference 🥴🤷🏻‍♀️

Report
mummyquestion · 27/02/2024 18:17

Has anyone heard of any schools WL moving yet?
I’ve heard (2nd hand) that Emmanuel has moved.waiting on bday schools…

Report
ItsMeHi48 · 27/02/2024 19:53

I called and spoke to FHSS today - she said it was unlikely to move until closer to or around their offer acceptance day so… waiting 🫠

Report
HawaiiWake · 27/02/2024 22:31

mummyquestion · 27/02/2024 18:17

Has anyone heard of any schools WL moving yet?
I’ve heard (2nd hand) that Emmanuel has moved.waiting on bday schools…

On the Emanuel thread, a MN called admissions and was told no movement on WL.
Heard quite a few holding on to a few offers due to indecisions. Though they all need to decide in a few days.

Report
Qmargaret · 28/02/2024 08:02

Yes I think things are very much on hold until 5th March 🤯

OP posts:
Report
londonswmum · 28/02/2024 09:56

FHSS WL has moved this week.

Report
unprof · 28/02/2024 10:39

We were very fortunate to get offers. Each school offered a "taster day" to offer holders and we let DC go to all of these before making a final decision. The last taster day was Monday afternoon, we made a decision that evening and notified all the schools on Tuesday morning. Hopefully other parents will start doing the same and then the WL can start moving. Best of luck, really hope you get the place you wanted

Report
parietal · 28/02/2024 10:48

5 years ago we were no33 on a waitlist and then got a phonecall with an offer of a place. so movement can happen a lot.

Report
ItsMeHi48 · 28/02/2024 11:09

@londonswmum oh really? Do you mind me asking how you know? When I spoke to FHSS yesterday they didn’t indicate that was the case but of course they just may not have wanted to tell me!

Report
HydePark13 · 28/02/2024 14:51

DD received an offer from FHSS this week. Good luck to everyone else waiting, my fingers are crossed for you all!

Report
ItsMeHi48 · 28/02/2024 14:52

@HydePark13 congrats!

Report
HydePark13 · 28/02/2024 14:54

@ItsMeHi48 I know at least four girls at DD’s current school who will likely give up their spots. Keep at it!

Report
travelturtle · 29/02/2024 11:44

Ibstock waitlist is moving

Report

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

Log in to update your newsletter preferences.

You've subscribed!

Thewaitisawful · 01/03/2024 12:01

Anyone had any movement on WL offers?

Report
farfallarocks · 01/03/2024 12:21

Chatter from this morning at our school was that waitlists are moving at FHSS, Putney, Ibstock and Harrodian

Report
ItsMeHi48 · 01/03/2024 12:32

We are WL for fhss and still nothing has come through for my DD 😩thinking I’ll phone this afternoon to try to get a guage of where she might be on the list ahead of our deadline of Monday at noon to accept our plan B. Trying to stay hopeful still as I know so much can still change

Report
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.