Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Access a Mumsnet exclusive 50% off discount from Your Favourite Teacher for all your home learning needs.

How much do you pay for school transport?

partystress · 05/03/2012 18:42

Need to do a quick and unscientific survey to find out if our council is telling porkies. Interested to know what you pay for school bus if you send your child to a school
(a) that is not your nearest but is a catchment school;
(b) that is out of your catchment;
(c) if you are in 11+ zone, to a school that is your nearest grammar, but not your nearest school.
If you could give a rough idea of distance too, that would be totally fab.
In the spirit of sharing, we are (c), £10 a week, 12 miles.
Many TIA.

OP's posts:
Please
or

shockers · 09/05/2012 18:19

£92 pounds a month for a bus pass. The journey is about 16 miles.

Please
or

TalkinPeace2 · 09/05/2012 18:03

I drive them in and its £1.30 each home on the public bus

if they got a return it would be £1.90 each
but the times are silly and I'm usually on my way somewhere in the morning

Please
or

RedVW · 09/05/2012 16:16

£600 per annum for one child, £1000 for two children to catch school bus to grammar school (10 miles away). There will be an increase in fares - rumoured to be fairly significant, but still unknown. Local comp (7-8 miles away) are about to start charging £600 per child per annum as of Sept 2012 to travel by coach. This service has been free up to now. No public bus service to either of the schools where we are.

Please
or

crazymum53 · 09/05/2012 14:53

In our LEA transport is only free for those on low incomes if the secondary school is your nearest school and is more than 2 miles away.
No school buses for dds school, you are expected to use ordinary bus service which costs £2 each way for just over one mile! That is why dd walks to school each day.

Please
or

gettingalifenow · 09/05/2012 13:47

10 miles by train, just turned 16 (so one third off adult fare) - about £150 per half term - so about £600 per year....

Please
or

foad · 09/05/2012 13:44

Child statring at grammar in September, in catchment area, 12 miles away. Bus will be Shock £1450 Shock per year.

Can't take the little darling myself because I have 2 others at local primary...

Please
or

notforlong · 08/03/2012 21:04

No one child, nearest Grammar 15 miles away, I tell myself it is much better than school fees.

Please
or

flaime · 06/03/2012 18:18

£9.50 per week or £110 per term on a publc bus, no school service. The school is about 10 miles away and not our nearest.

Please
or

mumsneedwine · 06/03/2012 17:30

Free for us as catchment (& nearest school) is 3.5 miles away. It's a military operation picking all the kids up in morning (5 buses from our area alone) and then getting them home again. Works well, costs nothing and kids enjoy it.

Please
or

Moominmammacat · 06/03/2012 16:16

We are in greater London and school buses are free. DS1 got in to Habs and hated the idea of £36 a week for "coach" (they don't have buses) more than the school fees themself ....

Please
or

Mrbojangles1 · 06/03/2012 14:59

Free I live in london

Please
or

antshouse · 06/03/2012 14:53

I know but the price is the same wherever they get on on route. We live just out of town and the school is also just on the edge of town in the opposite direction meaning public transport would be 2 buses and an hours journey (including walking either end), bus the school bus is 25 mins and drops at the door.

Please
or

thetasigmamum · 06/03/2012 14:38

@antshouse That's a lot of money for 3 miles. It makes me think perhaps I am getting vfm for DD1's 50 mile roundtrip every day.

Please
or

RaspberryLemonPavlova · 06/03/2012 11:41

Out of catchment school through choice. Ten miles away, £720 a year for each DC (2) on school organised transport.

Plus the amount I spend going to collect them from after school activities!

Please
or

antshouse · 06/03/2012 10:05

Catchment school but not nearest, £500 a year (3 miles) on a school bus.

Please
or

Banter · 06/03/2012 07:47

Or even ...

Although it probably doesn't apply in this case, those who are on low incomes qualify for free transport to their three nearest secondary schools and if they are less than 6 miles away.

Please
or

Banter · 06/03/2012 07:44

Although it probably doesn't apply in this case, those who are low incomes qualify for free transport to their three nearest secondary schools and they are less than 6 miles away.

Please
or

lurkinginthebackground · 05/03/2012 23:59

Each dc pays £1.10 per day.
It is our catchment school but we live less than 3 miles away (as the crow flys).

Please
or

thetasigmamum · 05/03/2012 21:38

£900 a year. Grammar school, super selective (no catchment). It's about a 25 mile journey.

Please
or

Milliways · 05/03/2012 21:08

DS goes to the nearest Grammar, but it is not our catchment school so we buy the bus pass at £110(ish) every 3 months. (Needs to change buses in town). It was our choice to allow him to sit the exam so we can't moan about the transport - some kids travel in for miles by train and bus.

If you go to the catchment school the school bus fee is more than the travelcard for the local buses, and you are restricted to the school bus - paying for a travelcard means DS can use the bus evenings and weekends.

Please
or

HSMM · 05/03/2012 21:00

Out of catchment £800 per year for 1 child

Please
or

RustyBear · 05/03/2012 20:58

I switched DS to the train after the school bus went up to just under £1000 a year for a grammar school 8 miles away - but that was 11 years ago, so £10 a week sounds pretty cheap to me.

Please
or

partystress · 05/03/2012 20:49

Situation is we live at the edge of our county, which still operates 11+. Our nearest secondary school is more than 3 miles away, so council have to provide free transport. Where we live, the secondary is nearer than the grammar. In the past, council have also provided free transport to the grammar. Now that will stop IF you have a secondary school nearer to you than the grammar, which vast majority of rural residents do, just by virtue of the fact that the grammars are concentrated in the town centre, whereas secondaries are more spread around outskirts. In other words, if you live nearer to a grammar than a secondary you will get free transport whichever school you go to, but if you live nearer to a secondary, even though you have passed the 11+ you have to pay for grammar.

They are using the ACORN database to back up their claim that most grammar school children live in wealthy areas. Leaving aside the fact that it is a database designed to help target mailshots, within a postcode there are big differences in 'wealth' and if you price out via transport the squeezed middle, grammar schools will indeed become places of privilege...

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bunbaker · 05/03/2012 20:47

It's free for us.

We live in the catchment area, but far enough away from the school (4 miles) to get free transport. It is a huge school in a small market town and there aren't enough service buses to transport all the children so there are dedicated school buses to transport the children from all the villages. All children under 16 also get a travel pass that entitles them to free bus travel after 9 am on all buses in the metropolitan borough.

Please
or

roisin · 05/03/2012 20:38

I don't quite get your questions.
My boys go to school in the next town (by choice), it's 4miles by public transport. The bus currently costs about £450 per year, but it's gone up a lot in the last 3 years and no doubt will continue to do so.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.