My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Cleaning an engineered wood floor

14 replies

NoTeaForMe · 31/10/2021 14:55

Afternoon. We’ve just had an oiled engineered wood floor laid. I think I’ve seen on her people raving about the Bona cleaner? There seem to be a few different bundles…any particular one better? Or any other recommendations? Thanks.

OP posts:
SheWoreYellow · 31/10/2021 14:56

We just steam mop ours. Five years on and it’s fine.

NoTeaForMe · 31/10/2021 20:12

Thanks. We don’t have a steam mop either so we need to buy something.
I’d read about the bona and the fact that some of the cleaner has oil in it so it’s “all-in-one.
On that note - as a touch up oil do people use linseed oil? Our floor isn’t particularly glossy it’s more a natural oiled finish. Any tips? Thanks

OP posts:
NoTeaForMe · 05/11/2021 10:05

Anyone?
Thanks

OP posts:
Subbaxeo · 05/11/2021 13:30

We’re not minging, honest but we mainly just hoover ours. Used to use steam mop but found it too wet. I just clean up any spills. Occasionally, we put a mop over it, but we bought a mop with a centrifugal head that you spin off in the accompanying bucket so it’s just damp when you use it. One of the best things I’ve bought!

jellybean30 · 05/11/2021 13:39

Bumping for you op as I've just got engineered wood flooring too.

Is normal mopping still ok on a weekly basis? (I assumed so, but just want to check)

BananaPie · 05/11/2021 23:08

We just Hoover / brush up crumbs every day and use a normal mop once a week. Seems fine!

redfairy · 05/11/2021 23:30

I use Bona in spray form and do it by hand once a year. a little goes a very long way. Inbetween I just vacuum. I personally wouldn't put a wet mop anywhere near an oiled engineered floor.

PickAChew · 05/11/2021 23:34

Oiled floors are a bugger to keep clean so we installed unfinished flooring in our (high spill) dining room and blathered it in varnish so the gaps were protected, too. Vacuum a couple of times a week, brush in between and spot clean with a rare full mop.

SwimmingOnEggshells · 05/11/2021 23:46

We use a spray mop. Bought it on Amazon. Amazing.

bumpertobumper · 06/11/2021 01:03

Normal mop once a week, usually but not always using detergent for wooden floors.
Had it seven years and still looks same as when new ( except an area by the bifolds which is a tiny bit sun bleached)

bumpertobumper · 06/11/2021 01:04

And in the oiling question, I think Dh has oiled it once, maybe twice in the seven years

Remmy123 · 06/11/2021 12:44

Bona spray mop very good - when the product runs out switch to Method wood floor which is cheaoer and smells lovely x

TwoLeftSocksWithHoles · 08/11/2021 12:04

I've had two Bona spray mops (one was a free replacement) they both packed up after about 18 months. Triggers seem to stick for me. Now use a Vileda 1-2-Spray which is fine but a bit fiddly putting the fabric mop on.

MagicalFish · 08/11/2021 16:56

I use the method wood floor cleaner with a mop once a month or so (upstairs so it doesn't get that mucky) and just hoover inbetween.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.