Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnetters are experts in finding the best deals on everything from fashion to home energy providers. Looking for more? Head to our Discount codes hub to save money when you buy from your favourite brands.

Am I spending too much?

whatIfITSnot · 08/09/2019 17:46

On average me and my partners weekly shop comes up around £40-50 a week. This isn't including bits and bobs from the shop and the odd takeaway.
I feel like we are spending to much since it's only us two.

Is it to much? We are barely surviving financially and we also have a baby, so I would like to try and cut that down a bit but I really don't know how to do that.

What budget tips do you use/recommend if you have any? Thanks! Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

rosedream · 08/09/2019 17:49

That sounds very good for a weekly shop.

Aldi do a chicken curry pack in the fresh meet section. It's very nice and much cheaper than a takeaway curry and easy to make. Add rice and a nan.

Please
or

burblife · 08/09/2019 20:36

I would say that doesn't sound too bad for a weekly shop but it depends how much it buys you.

Have you added up all the 'extra bits and bobs' from the shop as I suspect you will be spending more here than you think.

Does that amount include 3 meals a day? Or are you also buying lunches, coffees etc every day?

Please
or

burblife · 08/09/2019 20:38

Also if you have a baby, have you registered for child benefit?

We keep our weekly food budget down to under £60 for two adults, toddler and baby by shopping at Aldi/Lidl and meal planning and not wasting any food.

Please
or

HazelWalker1 · 08/11/2019 10:29

Do you shop at Aldi and Lidl?

You can save so much by shopping there. My partner and I spend £40 max a week. We don't usually get any takeaways as we love cooking but we deffo recommend swapping at leat 1 takeaway a month out for a really nice homecooked meal

When you're in aldi and lidl as well try and steer away from ready meals as they may look cheap, £1 for a meal, but if you buy the fresh ingredients you can usually make a few portions and freeze them up

i just made a fb group for sharing everything regarding making money and saving money, did you want to joim?

www.facebook.com/groups/earnmoneyuk/

Please
or

Fuzzyspringroll · 10/11/2019 07:47

We spend about £90 per week but rarely have takeaways or eat out.
I can get it down to about £60 per week when I meal plan and batch cook.

Please
or

SunshineAngel · 10/11/2019 07:59

We spend £60 a week for 3 of us, but will usually get a takeaway at the weekend while DSS is at his mum's (often pizza, which lasts two of the 3 days, so Fri/Sat, then roast dinner on Sunday).

I think £60 is okay (so yours is certainly okay) but I also know that I could definitely cut down. I shop at Tesco, buy brands, and don't really make any effort.. I just pick up whatever I want. I could probably halve it if I actually planned in advance what we were eating and just bought the ingredients that I needed!

Please
or

Nsky · 15/12/2019 19:07

Surely lots if veggie meals would help

Please
or

Seh81 · 28/12/2019 18:39

Meal planning is the key here.
And if your anything like me you’ve got a freezer full of bits and bobs forgotten about.
And cupboards full of odd tins.
Shelf cooking is a alway to use up things you’ve already got. I dont buy much by the way of snacks now.we just have three solid meals.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.