Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Changing relationship with DS 11

Layladylay234 · 13/08/2020 21:28

Long story short - we've always been very close as we were a single parent family for many years before I met DP. Me and my son did lots of things together,went places etc. I had a baby in May and whilst he adores her,the fact that most of my time is now spent feeding/getting her to sleep and he's now 11 means our relationship has changed.

I know he's not my little boy anymore and he's growing up and I want our relationship to reflect this. I know it's important for him to spent time cultivating his relationships with his friends but I also want to have a relationship with him.

How have others coped with their changing relationship with their children as they got older?

OP's posts:
Please
or

HugeAckmansWife · 21/08/2020 08:05

Likewise. Not completely, but after school he wants to play games online with the friends he's been with all day, which is fine, but it's as much as I can do to get him to sit at the table for 10 mins to eat with me and sibling. If I ask him to join us with a board game or similar he'll very politely decline. He does still likw me to read to him at night and we play outside games but I think it is just a natural change

Please
or

Felic23 · 14/08/2020 10:10

I dont have any suggestions just to say I will following this post as its similar with my Son. I am a single parent and we've always been close but I can see him detaching from me and is only interested in friends, I know this is perfectly normal and what they should naturally be doing but I cant help taking it personally and feeling a bit hurt by it!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?